Man the WiFi in the Calvert Library sucks!!!

steppinthrax

Just taking a virtual training class today. In the middle and all of a sudden no internet.

Had to use my hotspot. It's crazy how my cellular internet is faster and more reliable than what my tax dollars pays for.

But what else is new.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's crazy how my cellular internet is faster and more reliable than what my tax dollars pays for.

That's not crazy at all. What you purchase with your own money is always going to be better than what the government can provide with our tax dollars.

PeoplesElbow

How many people are using the wifi vs how many are using your hotspot?

Hotels have bad wifi, the MGM Grand in Las Vegas charged me a $20 resort fee, said it was for the wifi and other stuff, and it was so slow I couldnt use it to check into my flight the next day with. Over 5000 rooms were probably using a 5M DSL connection.

steppinthrax

That's not crazy at all. What you purchase with your own money is always going to be better than what the government can provide with our tax dollars.

LOLOLOL

I think we can be in agreeance here....

In addition a COMPANY such a Verizon, T-Mobile or any other carrier is going to try to provide service to COMPETE. This competition causes better and more reliable services, as they are intrinsically INCENTIVED to.

Whereas PUBLIC SECTOR dosen't have to COMPETE they never have to worry about their jobs or anything. Therefore they is no incentive to do better. "STATUS-QUO".

Noticed the words I CAPPED. LOL

steppinthrax

How many people are using the wifi vs how many are using your hotspot?

Hotels have bad wifi, the MGM Grand in Las Vegas charged me a $20 resort fee, said it was for the wifi and other stuff, and it was so slow I couldnt use it to check into my flight the next day with. Over 5000 rooms were probably using a 5M DSL connection.

There are about 8 people in this library right now. I would say much of them are using the computer, at a desk or their own laptop. So most likely you are looking at 5 users at most....

I'll bet you what I think is happening. The 200 other people that live around the library with Hi-Gain YAGI antennas...... That reflects again back at poor management.

PeoplesElbow

There are about 8 people in this library right now. I would say much of them are using the computer, at a desk or their own laptop. So most likely you are looking at 5 users at most....

I'll bet you what I think is happening. The 200 other people that live around the library with Hi-Gain YAGI antennas...... That reflects again back at poor management.

Or that because the library's internet uses the same stream that they throttle the wifi as to not interrupt their own use of it.

transporter

LOLOLOL

I think we can be in agreeance here....

In addition a COMPANY such a Verizon, T-Mobile or any other carrier is going to try to provide service to COMPETE. This competition causes better and more reliable services, as they are intrinsically INCENTIVED to.

Whereas PUBLIC SECTOR dosen't have to COMPETE they never have to worry about their jobs or anything. Therefore they is no incentive to do better. "STATUS-QUO".

Noticed the words I CAPPED. LOL

That is a pretty stupid post.

You do understand that the motivation of the provider and the buyer are different don't you? You also understand that the provider creates different levels of service for different price points, don't you?

You also must understand that a government entity generally purchases the cheapest product, right?

Suppose the library had a blazing fast connection, and the bill to go along with it, you and the rest of the cultists on here would be b!tching and moaning about the cost of the service!! "Why are my tax dollars going to support poor people!! Let them buy their own internet!!"

black dog

Free America
You also must understand that a government entity generally purchases the cheapest product, right?
"

The Government first sets the specifications for a product and then the product goes out on bid for said product that meets of exceeds those specifications. And then the lowest bidder might win the contract..

steppinthrax

That is a pretty stupid post.

You do understand that the motivation of the provider and the buyer are different don't you? You also understand that the provider creates different levels of service for different price points, don't you?

Suppose the library had a blazing fast connection, and the bill to go along with it, you and the rest of the cultists on here would be b!tching and moaning about the cost of the service!! "Why are my tax dollars going to support poor people!! Let them buy their own internet!!"

You are talking to someone who has worked alongside gov in the contracting capacity and have responded to RFPs as well as proposal writing. You are also talking to someone who sees the gov buy #### that sits into an office, in a sealed box on top of a pallet for about 4 years for about 140K (Oracle Appliance). To then get sent to an auction house for reclaim. So cry me a river about the gov correctly spends it's money appropriately.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Just out of curiosity did you ask any of the Library employees about it? Comcast was having issues all last week which had nothing at all to do with individual wireless connections except things took forever to load and would cut out entirely.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just taking a virtual training class today. In the middle and all of a sudden no internet.

Had to use my hotspot. It's crazy how my cellular internet is faster and more reliable than what my tax dollars pays for.

But what else is new.

Don't you have wifi at home?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

But what else is new.

Free wi-fi? You get what you pay for. In America, we aren't even in the top ten when it come to speed. http://www.the-wau.com/post/world/t...fastest-internet-speed-in-the-world-2017/2789
Even though we've been taxed over $400 billion for fiber we never gotten. http://investmentwatchblog.com/amer...n-for-fiber-optic-internet-that-doesnt-exist/
Want faster internet, move overseas.