Aeroseal

Bobwhite

You may recall that some weeks ago I posted about needing HVAC info. You all were so helpful that I thought I would try again.

A little history. Company A quoted under $5,000 for an Carrier 2 ton 14 SEER system. Company B quoted almost $9,000 for an American Standard 2 ton 14 SEER system. Since the quotes were so far apart, I requested a proposal from Company C. Company C came in around $6,300 for an American Standard 2 ton 14 SEER system. In discussions with Company C, a process called Aeroseal was mentioned as a good thing to improve efficiency. In doing my own research, I have found that some people have also stated there is significantly reduced allergens. The process is pretty costly...$2,200.

Do any of you have any experience with Aeroseal?

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the SEER. Any comments on that?

Thanks.

limblips

What I have found is that is your duct system is accessible you can DIY duct sealing with good quality sealants and metallic tape. If your ducts are buried in walls Aeroseal is a good solution but the return on investment is usually long term. The biggest thing is your main supply and return ducting, it is usually accessible and should be sealed tightly. Personally, I don't feel it is worth the cost over the long run. Take the same amount of money the Aeroseal will cost and put it in window and door seals, additional attic insulation, crawl space covers (if on a crawl space), and other insulation options and you will see a better return on investment.

Bobwhite

What I have found is that is your duct system is accessible you can DIY duct sealing with good quality sealants and metallic tape. If your ducts are buried in walls Aeroseal is a good solution but the return on investment is usually long term. The biggest thing is your main supply and return ducting, it is usually accessible and should be sealed tightly. Personally, I don't feel it is worth the cost over the long run. Take the same amount of money the Aeroseal will cost and put it in window and door seals, additional attic insulation, crawl space covers (if on a crawl space), and other insulation options and you will see a better return on investment.

Thanks.

General Lee

All those prices seem high for a 2 ton 14 seer, except maybe the quote for 5,000. The company that quoted 9 grand...I'd tell them to pound sand.