Offshore wind power is a pretty big deal

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some whopping numbers...with the US soon to join.

Europe dominated the global offshore wind energy market in 2016. Countries such as the UK, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, and Sweden among others are leading players in Europe offshore wind energy market.

Asia Pacific came in second, after Europe, in terms of offshore wind energy cumulative installed capacity. China is the leading player in Asia Pacific offshore wind energy market, and that market is expected to grow at the fastest rate across the globe. Japan, South Korea, and India among others are expected to further boost the market during the forecast period,

The U.S. is also expected to witness numerous offshore wind energy projects during the forecast period.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/12/05/global-offshore-wind-market-expected-to-reach-usd-57-2-billion-in-2022/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-12-06&uid=69352

stgislander

PREMO Member
Cancelling contracts for a commodity that was never produced is not the same as "refusing to buy"..

My sincerest apologies for my poor choice of words.

That aside, it sounds like Eversource and National Grid want to align themselves with the new bigger players.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My sincerest apologies for my poor choice of words.

That aside, it sounds like Eversource and National Grid want to align themselves with the new bigger players.

Bingo.

And apology accepted. I'll expect an offering to appear in the designated (refrigerated) location.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bingo.

And apology accepted. I'll expect an offering to appear in the designated (refrigerated) location.

red white blue.jpg

Been watching the news from the Eastern Shore where multiple wind projects are being planned. Lots and lots of resistance from Ocean City and tourist beaches who absolutely do not want to see them on the horizon. Enough that it's stalled plans. Supposed to be about 20 miles offshore. Seems to me when I lived on LI, I could not see the water horizon of CT at 22 miles away. Could see tall buildings, tho, so in reality, not much will be seen by folks sitting on the beaches.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Been watching the news from the Eastern Shore where multiple wind projects are being planned. Lots and lots of resistance from Ocean City and tourist beaches who absolutely do not want to see them on the horizon. Enough that it's stalled plans. Supposed to be about 20 miles offshore. Seems to me when I lived on LI, I could not see the water horizon of CT at 22 miles away. Could see tall buildings, tho, so in reality, not much will be seen by folks sitting on the beaches.

Those MD (0489 and 0490) leases were defined and let out for bid quite some time ago. The recent lease activities farther up (and farther off) the coast all involve the big players from Europe and Scandinavia by comparison. I have to wonder if those original Maryland tracts would ever be used.

The previously leased MD areas are not 20 nm from shore...

https://www.boem.gov/Renewable-Energy-Program/State-Activities/MD/MD-PSN-Map_Nautical-Chart.aspx