Adventures in babysitting

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was reading this:
http://www.minq.com/lifestyle/1595932/29-babysitting-stories-that-are-straight-out-of-a-horror-film/
and reminiscing about some of my babysitting horror stories.

When I was in 9th grade I watched the neighbor kid after school until his mom got home from work. He, the kid, usually got home about 10 minutes before I arrived and would go play or whatever until I got there. One day he decided to make popcorn (this was before the microwave stuff) and somehow he set the stove on fire. Luckily I arrived right about then, so damage was minimal, but I almost had a heart attack when I heard him screaming and ran through the door.

Here's the good one:

I went over to babysit 3 kids for some lady I barely knew - I was maybe 15. Turned out her friend wanted to leave her kids as well, so now I have five children - the youngest a baby and the oldest around 8 or 9. The kids were wild, #1, but fairly manageable and I had an ally in the oldest kid, who was not afraid to smack her siblings up when they misbehaved. It's getting to be about midnight and the mom still hasn't shown up, but as I'm watching TV a man comes walking through the door. He identifies himself as Mom's brother, and the kids come running out: "Yay! Uncle So-and-So!" so I know he's legit.

He says he only stopped by to give his sister some cigarettes, and drops an enormous box filled with cartons of all kinds of smokes - a bunch of different brands. Then he leaves and I get the kids settled back in, resume my TV watching.

At around 1:00 - 1:30am, there's an authoritative knock at the door. It's the cops. I identify myself as the babysitter, and they say that a corner store was broken into and robbed, and they think the perp came here. I tell them that we are alone and they are welcome to check. They spot the box of cigarettes and ask where they came from. I tell them the story of Uncle ####bag dropping them off for his sister.

Turns out that, yes indeed, this guy robbed the corner store, stole cigarettes among other things, then ran over to his sister's to hide them.

Cops take my statement and information, take the cigarettes, leave.

The Mom didn't show up until probably 5am or so. She said, "How'd it go?" I replied, "It was fine until your brother robbed a corner store and came over here to hide his loot, and then the cops showed up looking for him." She said, and I am not making this up, "Damn him! I told him not to bring that sh*t here!"

Anyway, I never sat for her again.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Wish I could but unfortunately he wasn't.

The parents told me to "give this to him" in a few hours. I didn't know what it was until I read the directions. I seriously thought about not doing it. I was more embaressed than anything.

:faint:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I watched three kids in the parents bedroom when their mother had Girl Scouts meetings in the living room. It was kind of *weird* being in the (neighbor) parents bedroom :twitch: There was a small girl (Monica aka Mickey) and two brothers that would whip their wieners out to try to get a reaction from me- and though young and maybe a little curious, mostly I laughed at them. I would really rather have watched Mod Squad than them!

As I watched them grow up, I often wanted to try to embarrass the little wiener whackers...

Hey, facebook...45 years later LOL...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:twitch:

I had to give one of my charges a suppository when she was sick, but she was a baby and I was in my 20s. I never really liked getting too personal with a kid that didn't belong to me.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

The parents told me to "give this to him" in a few hours. I didn't know what it was until I read the directions. I seriously thought about not doing it. I was more embaressed than anything.

Good thing you aren't running for an elected office.