Donald Purdy & John Horne (Re: Unsolved Murder)

jam20636

Unsolved Murder - Seeking Information

Hi, everyone,

I am writing a book about an unsolved murder investigation that was conducted by Donald Purdy and John Horne in the 90s. I have received substantial interest in the story from friends who are both screenwriters and other published authors.

I am looking to learn more about them as officers and investigators and what the community has experienced. I am writing this with no particular slant, so whatever information you are able to provide, I would most appreciate. Anyone who knows them personally? Anyone who has been investigated/confronted by them? Anyone who has had experience working with/against them (politically and professionally speaking)? I welcome all and any comments.

Please feel free to PM me and let me know if I should keep your information anonymous and confidential and I will do so. PM and I will also be happy to share the details of the project with you.

I appreciate your consideration and wish y'all a Merry Christmas.

Thank you,
JD

For those of you who are guests to the forum:please feel free to email me at samuel.b.milton@gmail.com

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I cut his grass one summer when he moved into his place overlooking the river. He was married to his first wife at the time. Don't know if there ever was a second.

I would have cut his grass for free, just for the views. :wink:

Sorry, that's all I got. Oh, and my dad and I taught him how to fish with beetle spin lures for perch. :yay:

jam20636

That is great! Thanks so much. I appreciate the perspective. It definitely helps.

And thank you to those who have already emailed and PM'ed me. I didn't expect to receive so many responses so quickly. Wow!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Could you, briefly, tell us the story? You have peaked my curiosity. Thanks.

Last edited:

jam20636

Absolutely. Francis Abell Woodburn was killed in an apparent hit-and-run accident in 1982. Purdy and Horne investigated the matter in 1993 and brought charges against two Hollywood men at the time. They claimed that it was, instead, an intentional beating instead of a hit-and-run. The evidence was incomplete and it appears that the two men were acquitted because a traffic citation showed that they were actually in police custody that evening for drag-racing and drinking.

In 1994, the grand jury released a report excoriating the police department for bringing the case--among other things--with incomplete and unfounded evidence. My legal training has centered around how wrongful convictions happen, so this book and case is one of legal interest to me. I have wanted to learn more about the investigators themselves and to understand what the perception of their work has been and what experience people have had in the County. Thanks, JD.

If anyone has any information they wish to share confidentially or anonymously, please email me at: samuel.b.milton@gmail.com

littlelady

God bless the USA
Absolutely. Francis Abell Woodburn was killed in an apparent hit-and-run accident in 1982. Purdy and Horne investigated the matter in 1993 and brought charges against two Hollywood men at the time. They claimed that it was, instead, an intentional beating instead of a hit-and-run. The evidence was incomplete and it appears that the two men were acquitted because a traffic citation showed that they were actually in police custody that evening for drag-racing and drinking.

In 1994, the grand jury released a report excoriating the police department for bringing the case--among other things--with incomplete and unfounded evidence. My legal training has centered around how wrongful convictions happen, so this book and case is one of legal interest to me. I have wanted to learn more about the investigators themselves and to understand what the perception of their work has been and what experience people have had in the County. Thanks, JD.

If anyone has any information they wish to share confidentially or anonymously, please email me at: samuel.b.milton@gmail.com

We lived in SoMD for 20 years, but the case you are trying to unravel is before our time there (moved there in 1996; we have moved again). I applaud you for trying to get to the bottom of it, because I think our judicial system is really screwed up. I am sorry I am of no help, but write your book! :yay:

Last edited:
I'm a little curious as to what happened with the info you were looking for in 2004? BTW, why don't you just contact the two officers and ask to interview them? I know Horne is still alive and living in St. Mary's. I'm not sure about Purdy. Good look with your book.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I knew Don Purdy in the 1990s. Yes. His house was up on the hill overlooking the river. My Ex's uncle was the Sheriff at the time and he lived on a farm on the water down below where Don's house was. I don't know anything about the investigation your asking about. I do know that Don ran for Sheriff more than once. The first time was in 1990 when he ran against the incumbent Sheriff. I think he and has wife moved away after his last run for Sheriff sometime after 1998 but I can't be sure.

I knew Don Purdy in the 1990s. Yes. His house was up on the hill overlooking the river. My Ex's uncle was the Sheriff at the time and he lived on a farm on the water down below where Don's house was. I don't know anything about the investigation your asking about. I do know that Don ran for Sheriff more than once. The first time was in 1990 when he ran against the incumbent Sheriff. I think he and has wife moved away after his last run for Sheriff sometime after 1998 but I can't be sure.

I heard he now lives in Newberg, MD.

3CATSAILOR

Last I knew Don was still alive. Have you tried asking him?

jam20636

Yes, I would love to be in touch with them. I have tried twice by USPS unsuccessfully, but would certainly be interested if anyone knows how to get in touch--please email me (see above).