Good move!

glhs837

Power with Control
butbutbut, whatever shall happen to the "Green Hornet", and all the money spent converting that aircraft to use "green" jet fuel? And all the untold amounts of money and time spent moving rediculously expensive green fuel about the world to showcase the damn thing? But I was saddened to hear that the Navy might be pulling support for the railgun program, and not a day later another article saying the Chinese were moving forward with railguns.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But I was saddened to hear that the Navy might be pulling support for the railgun program, and not a day later another article saying the Chinese were moving forward with railguns.

I hadn't heard that. Are they explaining why?

glhs837

Power with Control
I hadn't heard that. Are they explaining why?

It seems from whats come out that Big Navy is saying "Thanks for the Mach 6 hypervelocity projectile, we'll just shoot it at Mach 3 with conventional powder and not worry about the integration headache fo your massive electrical power requirements and possible barrel wear problems."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It seems from whats come out that Big Navy is saying "Thanks for the Mach 6 hypervelocity projectile, we'll just shoot it at Mach 3 with conventional powder and not worry about the integration headache fo your massive electrical power requirements and possible barrel wear problems."

That does sound right. Particularly when you consider the advances in terminal guidance technology along with rocket-assisted and base-propellant range-boosting technologies.

stgislander

PREMO Member

But you need railguns for battles in space! :cds:

glhs837

Power with Control

More science fiction, less beancounting :) I think they (BN) felt burned about the gun that requires $500,000 rounds of ammo and area afraid that this will go the opposite way with new milion dollar barrels being required every 15 shots. Sure the rounds are dirt cheap, but if you need a million dollar barrel that often, it doesnt make good math. Me, I would be on them solving the barrel problem, but I'm an optimist.