Junk cars

CdShiflett

Asking again. Need to junk a car. Not looking to donate, it does me no good. I have new tires and a fairly new battery so at least trying to get something for it. One place says it's a year too old. Really???? for scrap!!! The other place was suppose to be here today, I called and confirmed and the guy on the phone was a real AZZ. I need it gone before Jan 1. Anymore suggestions? PS I know it was all in fun, but if you only have smart aleck suggestions please keep them for another time.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Asking again. Need to junk a car. Not looking to donate, it does me no good. I have new tires and a fairly new battery so at least trying to get something for it. One place says it's a year too old. Really???? for scrap!!! The other place was suppose to be here today, I called and confirmed and the guy on the phone was a real AZZ. I need it gone before Jan 1. Anymore suggestions? PS I know it was all in fun, but if you only have smart aleck suggestions please keep them for another time.

Champion wouldn't come take it??

black dog

Free America
Have you considered putting it up for sale on Craigslist for a few hundred?
And take what's offered..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My recent experience is that if you want them to pay you a nominal price for the vehicle and to tow it, good luck. If you are willing to pay them for the tow, then maybe.

Their trucks still say "cars picked up free" on them. ? The most money I ever talked them out of was $175 for a wrecked Cherokee with a clean low-ish-mileage engine. They don't pay much. But the OP isn't looking for any money either, so..

Midnightrider

Their trucks still say "cars picked up free" on them. ? The most money I ever talked them out of was $175 for a wrecked Cherokee with a clean low-ish-mileage engine. They don't pay much. But the OP isn't looking for any money either, so..
right back at you mo......

GregV814

there are many gear heads on this spot. I be one...what is it and where are you???

BernieP

Resident PIA

I may not have begged Champion, but did call a few others, including some of the organizations that say they will take your vehicle for charity.
It actually did run, it just needed some "work".
They wanted something newer and in better condition - before they would take it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I may not have begged Champion, but did call a few others, including some of the organizations that say they will take your vehicle for charity.
It actually did run, it just needed some "work".
They wanted something newer and in better condition - before they would take it.

That makes perfect sense. Champion, on the other hand, will haul off anything with scrap value. Big difference between Champion - a scrap yard - and the outfits that solicit/accept car donations.

The drop in scrap prices has also had an effect; a scrapper that used to regularly remove stuff for me quit doing it when it wasn't covering his expenses. I wanted him to haul away this old junk Italian-American sports car I have laying around but he said it was too light to even fool with. ;-p

Last edited:

Forkian

Doesn't sound like these companies have much interest in coming to pick up your old POS.

List it for sale online or free for hauling if you need it gone quick.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That makes perfect sense. Champion, on the other hand, will haul off anything with scrap value. Big difference between Champion - a scrap yard - and the outfits that solicit/accept car donations.

The drop in scrap prices has also had an effect; a scrapper that used to regularly remove stuff for me quit doing it when it wasn't covering his expenses. I wanted him to haul away this old junk Italian-American sports car I have laying around but he said it was too light to even fool with. ;-p

which is why I couldn't get a scraper to take the vehicle. A private party bought it to part it out because they weren't pushed for time

1stGenSMIB

I have a buddy that bought a POS trashed and didn't run car for the wheels/tires, glass headlights and front grill. He said he made money just salvaging those pieces. He'll scrap the rest unless someone wants the bent up rims he put on it. :)

The point is, you never know..if it was a 27 year old Civic, I might want the hood & wheels for my project car!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The point is, you never know..if it was a 27 year old Civic, I might want the hood & wheels for my project car!

I think the guy said it was just some old worthless junk..'66 or '67 Ford ...Shelvy..shelbby..something like that.

;-p