School district layouts?

Gunn317

Hello,

We currently live in Leonardtown and are planning on moving. We'd like to stay put for awhile after that and know what schools our child/children will go to (we have a 6mo. old currently). So, in looking for a new home we'd like to stay in the Leonardtown High School area. But, we can't seem to get an answer from anyone on the layout of where we can go to look for homes and/or property! After 3 calls to the Dept. of Transportation, we still have not received a return call; we tried the school board who referred us to transportation, etc.

Our realtor said that the reason they haven't called us back is because they are "redistricting". Well, they could still call us back and tell us that! In any case, maybe some of you people who live in the LHS area could tell me if you know; or at least indicate where you live in that zone... ;)

I would like to think there is a nice graphical map online somewhere that I can see and go from there....? ha.

Thanks,

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There is a web page with that information. You can go to http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/trans.htm and then select the .pdf file for the district of interest. The current district for Leonardtown High School is as follows.
Route 234 from Clements to Route 5. Route 247 from Route 235 to Route 5. Route 5 from Route 247 intersection to Flat Iron Road intersection. Parson's Mill Road. Bishop Road. Friendship School Road. Pincushion Road from Route 5 to Sunnyside Road. Sunnyside Road from Pincushion Road to Route 5. Route 243. Leonardtown (within city limits). St. Andrew's Church Road from Route 5 to Route 235. Route 235 from Sandgates Road (southern entrance) to St. Andrew's Church Road including Woodland Acres. Indian Bridge Road from St. Andrew's Church Road to Route 5. Route 244 from Route 5 to Route 249.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Gunn317, I'd be interested to know why you want your children to go to Leonardtown HS. I went to school there and I feel it's not any better or worse than Chopticon or Great Mills.

blueeyes76

Well, I don't know about Chopticon because I didn't go there, but Great Mills just has such a bad reputation. I think people believe too much of what they hear and base their decision on that. I went to GM before they renovated and I will say it was disgusting. Roaches, rats and tons of other critters, not to mention no air conditioning. I would have preferred to be at Leonardtown at that time. I did receive a good education at GM though, and I think that's all that really matters. There are bad elements in every school.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Goof Greif Blue

I never had that experience ever at GM when I went there. WOW! I was there before they started renovation also...and never had or heard of that problem.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by blueeyes76
I think people believe too much of what they hear and base their decision on that.

Quite true. For years, families moving into St. Mary's County were told, "Whatever you do, don't let your kids go to Great Mills." I spent my freshman year at Great Mills before going to Leonardtown. True, the building was in sad shape for years. But based on the things I've seen and heard over the years, I believe a large part of the school's bad reputation was a racial thing.

blueeyes76

Watercolor, I was in World History upstairs and one day this HUGE rat went running across the front of room. Ugh...it was so gross. I used to see roaches in the cafeteria and bathrooms all the time. Yuck.

Tonio, I definitely believe it was racial. Let's face it, that area is not exactly the best location for a school, but like I said, I feel like I received a quality education.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Ok I am about to make you feel real old here, you graduated when I was getting ready to come in. I dont remember him, so he must have not been there when I started

blueeyes76

Yeah, I used to babysit a girl your age! :wink: It's cool though, her and I are really good friends now.

I think Mr. Easley retired the year after I graduated. He passed away a few years ago. I'm surprised you never heard anything about him though. His voice was kinda like Ben Stein's, very monotonous and boring.

Did you have the privilege of being taught by Ms. Bourne?