What truck should I get?

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I own a Chevy Silverado LT with 96,000 miles and I’m hopefully buying a new or used truck with in the next four months.

I keep vehicles for at least ten years and was told that a diesel can last twice that so I’m leaning towards a Chevy or GMC diesel. I have a small travel trailer that I’m thinking I’ll be getting rid of for maybe a truck camper or minimalist trailing camper someday but I also have been told I’ll pay the price at the pumps owning a diesel.

I defiantly want a 4X4 with crew cab because I use it as a traveling gym and to store fishing gear. The four wheel drive will keep me from having to shovel snow and get me to the hiking and fishing spots I might not normally be able to get to.

I did see a new 4X4 Toyota that wasn’t diesel and wouldn’t be able to haul a truck camper but I’m sure was about half the price of what I’m looking for in a diesel.

There is a 2017 GMC dually with 10,000 miles at Carmax that is fully loaded for a fifth wheel with all the bells and whistles for 60K, not that I want a dually because what if I get a flat tire? I couldn’t change it myself and Lord only knows how much replacing tires on that beast would be not to mention gas mileage.

I also had a new Dakota years ago that was a piece of crap so I’m not a fan of Dodge and my Ford Ranger’s clutch went out driving through NC…I’m still bitter over that.

So I guess my questions are, diesel or not, new or used and is there anything I should definitely stay clear of?

MR47930

No Ford? I just bought an F250 this year and I love it. If you don't do a lot of towing but still want a diesel, Ford is coming out with a diesel option F150 for 2018. Personally I'd go with the GMC over the Chevy, but I'm a Ford guy at heart so I couldn't stray.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
No Ford? I just bought an F250 this year and I love it. If you don't do a lot of towing but still want a diesel, Ford is coming out with a diesel option F150 for 2018. Personally I'd go with the GMC over the Chevy, but I'm a Ford guy at heart so I couldn't stray.

F150 diesel? I'd guess they'll have a 4X4 Crew cab...I'll take a look at it.

~Thanks

black dog

Free America
The pickup bed duallys come with a spare under the bed, 8 or 10 ply tires are 200 bucks and up. My 2000 F350 crew with a 7.3 diesel will get 17+- on the highway and around 10 around town.
A diesel will serve you well if you are good about doing regular maintenance and staying on top of normal maintenance.
When it doesn't start get ready to open your wallet..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I own a Chevy Silverado LT with 96,000 miles and I’m hopefully buying a new or used truck with in the next four months.

I keep vehicles for at least ten years and was told that a diesel can last twice that so I’m leaning towards a Chevy or GMC diesel. I have a small travel trailer that I’m thinking I’ll be getting rid of for maybe a truck camper or minimalist trailing camper someday but I also have been told I’ll pay the price at the pumps owning a diesel.

I defiantly want a 4X4 with crew cab because I use it as a traveling gym and to store fishing gear. The four wheel drive will keep me from having to shovel snow and get me to the hiking and fishing spots I might not normally be able to get to.

I did see a new 4X4 Toyota that wasn’t diesel and wouldn’t be able to haul a truck camper but I’m sure was about half the price of what I’m looking for in a diesel.

There is a 2017 GMC dually with 10,000 miles at Carmax that is fully loaded for a fifth wheel with all the bells and whistles for 60K, not that I want a dually because what if I get a flat tire? I couldn’t change it myself and Lord only knows how much replacing tires on that beast would be not to mention gas mileage.

I also had a new Dakota years ago that was a piece of crap so I’m not a fan of Dodge and my Ford Ranger’s clutch went out driving through NC…I’m still bitter over that.

So I guess my questions are, diesel or not, new or used and is there anything I should definitely stay clear of?

96,000 miles? Hell, that ain't even broke-in yet.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
96,000 miles? Hell, that ain't even broke-in yet.

I bought it used and I think it must have come from up North. I had to replace the power steering lines because they corroded through and when I went to look at it at the dealer, the bed was off to be repainted. Corrosion or collision, not sure which but it rattles like a bag of pennies.

I'll be able to buy a new one outright soon so I won't have a payment and want to make the right decision. :yay:

jrt_ms1995

Depending on the weight of the camper you decide on, you may want to consider the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado with 2.8 liter 4-cylinder diesel. This isn't a new, unproven engine; it's been in service around the world for 10-20 years, but only available in the US for 3 now. The 4x4 crew cab variants are rated for towing 7550 lb, and I've averaged 26.5 mpg in the 3 months, 3400 miles I've had mine. Granted, that's not towing anything, just back and forth from Leonardtown to Pax in the usual work traffic. Downside is the diesels aren't available in the lower-end trim lines, so you'd likely pay more than for some full-size gasoline 4x4s, but my calculations showed the extra cost of the diesel would be recouped in fuel cost savings by about 30,000 miles or so vs. the extended cab Tundra 4x4 I was also considering. The Colorado will typically be less than the Canyon, and Winegardner in Leonardtown still had a few '17 Colorado diesels when I looked online last week (well, looks like only one '17 now, shown here, currently offered at $38-something). I'll be heading off on our first long-distance trip in the truck soon, and if I remember I'll update this thread with the trip mileage; I'm hoping to top 30 mpg.

13948701794x640.jpg

Last edited:
I currently have a 2016 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab with the diesel, with 40k miles on it, and can say it is a great truck! It tows like a dream! I have only had to do routine maintenance on it since I bought it.

Pros of a diesel:
Yes, they do last longer
Fuel economy (a recent trip to Florida, without the trailer I was getting about 19mpg without a trailer, with a 10,000lb trailer going through the mountains I get about 15-16)

Cons:
Increased maintenance (Ford PowerStroke Diesel holds 13 quarts of oil)
Diesel Exhaust Fluid for emissions. I find I'm using 2.5 gallons of DEF about every 3 months

b23hqb

PREMO Member
F150 diesel? I'd guess they'll have a 4X4 Crew cab...I'll take a look at it.

~Thanks

The full crew cabs are really nice - have had my F150 since 2010, and it still looks like new. 74,000 on it now. I've had two car seats in the back since 2011, and still plenty of room for the grand kids mom to sit between the seats.

nutz

First, decide exactly what you are going to do with it. How much travel trailer or slide-in camper? The weight alone will point to vehicle size.
I've become a big believer that you either get a good vehicle or you don't. Brand doesn't matter for #### anymore, dealership are becoming "independent" so that doesn't mean #### either. Look for other annoyance factors also like whether or not the cab has to be pulled for x maintenance activities. Where is the oil filter and other regular maintenance items located? How much frigging plastic is on it?

Two of my buddies have 2007 Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel duallies, one has 310,000 plus on the odometer. The other one is at 165,000 both have had minimum maintenance. Mine is at 145,000 with nothing other than wear and tear maintenance, towing 15k worth of trailer, I average 13.5 @ highway speeds. The ford 6.0 and 6.4 series was really hit or miss but all I personally know have needed head gaskets, turbos replaced or other "heavy" maintenance. My other buddy bought a 2017 F350 single wheel crew cab 4x4, 6.7 diesel, the aluminum frame one. Really nice truck without all the bells and whistles (no carpet, nav, etc) for just under 70K delivered :faint:have to wait and see how well that holds up.

rencer

Depending on the weight of the camper you decide on, you may want to consider the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado with 2.8 liter 4-cylinder diesel. This isn't a new, unproven engine; it's been in service around the world for 10-20 years, but only available in the US for 3 now. The 4x4 crew cab variants are rated for towing 7550 lb, and I've averaged 26.5 mpg in the 3 months, 3400 miles I've had mine. Granted, that's not towing anything, just back and forth from Leonardtown to Pax in the usual work traffic. Downside is the diesels aren't available in the lower-end trim lines, so you'd likely pay more than for some full-size gasoline 4x4s, but my calculations showed the extra cost of the diesel would be recouped in fuel cost savings by about 30,000 miles or so vs. the extended cab Tundra 4x4 I was also considering. The Colorado will typically be less than the Canyon, and Winegardner in Leonardtown still had a few '17 Colorado diesels when I looked online last week (well, looks like only one '17 now, shown here, currently offered at $38-something). I'll be heading off on our first long-distance trip in the truck soon, and if I remember I'll update this thread with the trip mileage; I'm hoping to top 30 mpg.

View attachment 120902

Chevy Colorado CC 4x4 is a good choice indeed. One guy here brought his 2016 Colorado 4x4 CC diesel for new set of tires and vision wheels plus brake job. He is towing his boat @5000lbs without any issue with average of 25mpg. Imo, the v8-powered Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 is another good choice.

nutz

Chevy Colorado CC 4x4 is a good choice indeed. One guy here brought his 2016 Colorado 4x4 CC diesel for new set of tires and vision wheels plus brake job. He is towing his boat @5000lbs without any issue with average of 25mpg. Imo, the v8-powered Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 is another good choice.

How many miles on a 2016 that it needs a brake job already? Maybe it isn't quite up to towing that boat.

jrt_ms1995

First leg of my trip, Leonardtown to Greenville, SC, via Fayetteville, NC, the vehicle computer calculated 31.7 mpg, with some limited in and around miles. Of course, the vehicle comp is always optimistic, but reality will still beat 30.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
First leg of my trip, Leonardtown to Greenville, SC, via Fayetteville, NC, the vehicle computer calculated 31.7 mpg, with some limited in and around miles. Of course, the vehicle comp is always optimistic, but reality will still beat 30.

:yay: