Harris Teeter

stgislander

PREMO Member
Does anyone know the opening date of Harris Teeter? And does anyone here have any opinions of Harris Teeter stores?

When my wife (then girlfriend) lived in Raleigh, NC, that was her go-to grocery store. I loved going there when I visited. They had the nicest lil ole lady running the bread slicing machine in the bakery area. I'd buy bread and get it sliced just to chat with her.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Does anyone know the opening date of Harris Teeter? And does anyone here have any opinions of Harris Teeter stores?

They attract the vegan, organic tofu crowd.... just not as bad as Whole Paycheck stores.

PeoplesElbow

Very similar to giant, it will be interesting to see how they do without wine sales as most have a very big and nice wine and beer department.

In college I worked at one and then a Kroger, they were almost indistinguishable if you ever been in a Kroger.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The fellow I talked to a couple weeks ago thought they wold be opening a month of so after the turn of the year, if they can get the parking lot finished.

He services equipment in several of the stores, thinks they are over priced for their selection.

Very similar to giant, it will be interesting to see how they do without wine sales as most have a very big and nice wine and beer department.

In college I worked at one and then a Kroger, they were almost indistinguishable if you ever been in a Kroger.

Glad to see you said "Kroger" without the "s"! People who don't know; it's a mid-west thing.

black dog

Free America
Glad to see you said "Kroger" without the "s"! People who don't know; it's a mid-west thing.

Kroger bought all the Pay-Less grocery stores out here a few years back and just recently bought most of the Marsh Grocery chain that was failing.
Kroger has nice stores.

PeoplesElbow

Actually Harris Teeter bought Kroger. They are southern stores, not mid-west, right?

Kroger used to be eastern part of the midwest but it has expanded greatly in the last 20 years and is now the largest supermarket chain in the US. Harris Teeter is south-east, there is some overlap. I know at one point Blacksburg VA had both stores.

I am hoping our Harris Teeter will have the full service meat counter.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I am hoping our Harris Teeter will have the full service meat counter.

Did you notice that Giant (in California) squeezed a meat counter in with the seafood counter. Someone mentioned Harris Teeter being similar to Giant.
If that's the case, and their store is bigger, it might kill the Giant in First Colony. The store is small, I like the store, but they don't have shelf space and with the new layout, there are support posts in the aisles. To compound the posts, they have cardboard displays - all this blocks the shelves behind the post. It also causes a traffic jam in the aisle.
The store just doesn't have the room to offer variety. The Lusby store is nicer, it has products California doesn't carry because it has the space.

ltown81

Harris Teeter is on a different level. The one in Easton that was just built and looks the same, is closer to Whole Foods than Giant. I have not liked Giant in California since they remodeled it jammed 25% more merchandise in the store.

wubbles

Any idea when the other shops in St Mary's Marketplace will be opening? I am looking forward to trying MOD Pizza to see how it stacks up.

lovinmaryland

I know we've had the discussion before of how training employees is very important...case in point chik fil a staff vs. mcdonalds...they're both picking from the same pool of individuals but obviously chik fil a does something better training wise. I'm hoping the same can be said for Harris Teeter.