Then Why Did You Get Married ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My husband, Bob, and I never truly got along. Our temperaments clashed, mightily, even when we chose to marry a decade earlier. In Texas, the fifth state I moved to for his career, our resentments went haywire. We lost respect. We were mean. We led separate emotional lives. Contemplating my children’s ages in August 2002, I weighed the consequences of staying or going. Then, I found a subpoena in the mailbox.

My eyes flew over the pages. Bob had filed a motion for divorce; fault grounds were not required. I must say that I wasn’t alarmed until I landed on the words “geographic restriction” and “within county lines.” Section 153.001(a)(1) of the Texas Family Code would restrain me in Dallas until my children left for college. That was 14 more years. As in certain other states, the “noncustodial” parent (the one with whom the children reside a minority of the time) — in this case my daughters’ father — is protected by a policy that supports easy access to the kids. Bob could allow a relocation beyond the physical limits set by the court. But if he chose not to, the children had to remain.

Bob chose not to.

I felt dizzy and nauseated and went into the yard. Wooden planks fenced in the lawn, a gated door locked with a bolt. The air heaved with August heat, and ripples rose up from the stone. I walked the perimeter, turning the corners like a wind-up soldier, the sun burning me up. Texas was a flaming hell right then.

“You’re going to imprison me here?” I remember asking him, standing in the kitchen.

I was forced to raise my kids in Texas for 14 years

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No “y’alls” would have a chance to register on their Yankee vocal chords.

Prays for Bob, because she sounds like a real bitch. Note that she was completely fine with taking her kids away from their dad to live in the cesspool that is Manhattan, yet railed at the possibility that they might be taken from her should she try her little tricks. I also love how she couldn't support herself in Dallas, where the cost of living is reasonable and jobs are plentiful, yet thought she could make it in New York, which is the exact opposite.

The reason Texas has that family law is so that women like the author can't uproot their children and keep them from their father, as she flat stated she intended to do.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The reason Texas has that family law is so that women like the author can't uproot their children and keep them from their father, as she flat stated she intended to do.

yeah I get that the female usually gets custody and wants to run back to where home, but there should be some middle ground

[I agree she seems a bit of a bitch]

however if you NEVER really got along, is it any surprise he filed for divorce ...
what were YOU doing to get along, to make a house a home ...
sounds like you took well enough care of the children were you and your husband taking care of each other ...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I guess having 2 kids was going to fix their issues.

At least Texas has awesome BBQ.