Maryland smoke alarm law takes effect Jan. 1

Hank

my war
WASHINGTON — A new smoke alarm law intended to save more lives is taking effect on Jan. 1, 2018 in Maryland. It’s part of a nationwide trend to transition from old smoke detectors powered by 9-volt batteries to new smoke alarms that have a 10 year life span.

Maryland is the most recent state to require the more modern alarms which are tamper-resistant and last for 10 years without the battery needing to be replaced.

Starting New Year’s Day, Maryland residents will be required to replace 9-volt battery operated smoke detectors that are 10 years old with the new smoke detectors.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2017/12/new-year-new-law-maryland-smoke-alarm-law-take-effect/

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I think what it really means is that the old ones can't be sold in the state any longer. I doubt that any Smoke Alarm Police will be getting warrants to enter people's homes.
The reality is that people will continue using the 9 volt powered ones until they break.

wubbles

Anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to have like ~12 smoke detectors replaced by an electrician (not including the cost of the detector)? I know it's almost accident proof to do yourself if you know what you are doing, but I don't mess around with electricity and can't even reach some of my detectors with a 10' ladder. Also they're all hard-wired into the house which makes it an extra PITA.

Hank

my war
I think what it really means is that the old ones can't be sold in the state any longer. I doubt that any Smoke Alarm Police will be getting warrants to enter people's homes.
The reality is that people will continue using the 9 volt powered ones until they break.

It will be an issue w/ your insurance company, if you don't follow the regulations & you end up having a house fire.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I wonder how much of a kickback Mike and Mike got from First Alert and other manufacturers?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It will be an issue w/ your insurance company, if you don't follow the regulations & you end up having a house fire.

Maybe. I guess we all should check. And, realistically, how many people are even going to know about this?

I follow state laws fairly closely and didn't know about it until 3 or 4 hours ago when I read your post.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to have like ~12 smoke detectors replaced by an electrician (not including the cost of the detector)? I know it's almost accident proof to do yourself if you know what you are doing, but I don't mess around with electricity and can't even reach some of my detectors with a 10' ladder. Also they're all hard-wired into the house which makes it an extra PITA.

The hard-wired full-home systems do not appear to be affected by this legislation. It's focused on the ones like we've always had; the el cheapo ones you just screw to the ceiling that are powered by a 9 volt battery with a fairly short life span.

officeguy

Wait until governor Rushern Baker gets into power. He comes from PG, he is a master at any moneymaking scheme government can come up with. In short order, there will be a 'safety service' (SS) with police powers empowered to break down your door to check whether your smoke alarms have been replaced and to check on the validity of your 'water heater permit' and 'fireplace permit'.

wubbles

The hard-wired full-home systems do not appear to be affected by this legislation. It's focused on the ones like we've always had; the el cheapo ones you just screw to the ceiling that are powered by a 9 volt battery with a fairly short life span.

Thanks for the tip. They're all over 10 years old already so it would be a good time to replace them anyways.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I've looked all over COMAR and cannot find this "new" law anywhere. There are references to, new home / new building construction, and rehabilitation of buildings and apartment dwellings. But nothing requiring a home owner to replace their current smoke detector/alarm, battery operated or not. Of all the articles that have been written on this new law, not one, that I have found, references this new law under COMAR or its legislative House or Senate bill number. I see it as BS attempt to scare people into buying into the faux benevolence and altruistic parentalness of government helping us lowly serfs, but with the threat of becoming a criminal with a fine and/or imprisonment as punishment if we do not follow its dictate. File this under the category of forced planned product obsolescence. A law written by the industry benefiting and profiting from such "new law".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thanks for the tip. They're all over 10 years old already so it would be a good time to replace them anyways.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without checking with someone familiar with them. Those are pretty simple sensors....it's not like they "wear out". Why spend money for no benefit?

officeguy

Most of the hardwired systems use a plug that goes in the back of the unit to hook up the 120V primary power and the linkup with the other units. If someone is physically capable to do some light overhead work on a ladder (and not everyone can), changing out 10 year old units is a DIY job and doesn't require an electrician. Take one unit off to see what plug they use so you can order the right replacements.
If the house has any potential sources for carbon monoxide (even a gas fireplace will do), code now requires a CO detector on each floor. While this is not a requirement for a legacy installation, there is little downside in doing that upgrade while you are already at it. Also, new detectors are available with a speech feature. They will talk to you and say 'Fire Fire, leave the building' or 'Carbon monoxide, Carbon Monoxide, leave the building'. I know, it seems stupid and hokey, but if you wake up with your brain already half baked from carbon monoxide, that verbal instruction may be what it takes to save your life.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

I've looked all over COMAR and cannot find this "new" law anywhere. There are references to, new home / new building construction, and rehabilitation of buildings and apartment dwellings. But nothing requiring a home owner to replace their current smoke detector/alarm, battery operated or not. Of all the articles that have been written on this new law, not one, that I have found, references this new law under COMAR or its legislative House or Senate bill number. I see it as BS attempt to scare people into buying into the faux benevolence and altruistic parentalness of government helping us lowly serfs, but with the threat of becoming a criminal with a fine and/or imprisonment as punishment if we do not follow its dictate. File this under the category of forced planned product obsolescence. A law written by the industry benefiting and profiting from such "new law".

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...andates-Change-for-Home-Alarms-463479233.html

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-smoke-alarm-law-20171227-story.html

There's a PDF of the law I won't link.

officeguy

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without checking with someone familiar with them. Those are pretty simple sensors....it's not like they "wear out". Why spend money for no benefit?

They do fail. The number I remember is that 25% of units wont work with power applied after 10 years. While the photoelectric or ionization sensors are quite simple, the assembly around them does contain components like electrolyte capacitors that wear out over time.

In commercial properties, schools etc. you will occasionally see the fire protection contractor come around with a 'cone on a stick' to function test the smoke alarms with standardized aerosol. If you have a way to check the sensitivity of your smoke alarms at the end of the 10 years, you could leave them up. If you dont have that capability, replacing them after 10 years is the consensus of most of the alphabet agencies involved in fire safety (NFPA, CPSC, UL...).

steppinthrax

The concept behind replacing them every 10 years is based on statistical data showing that after about 10 years the probability of failure increases to some unacceptable amount. Now I don't remember where I was viewing this data, but it was alongside the 10-year rule. The data was used to support the 10-year rule. I also believe these statistics were very conservative in that even after 10 years the probability is still pretty low. Funny thing is I've lived in two houses with smoke detectors that were way over 10 years old. My old house had the original smoke detector from 1974 (house built in 1974)!!! I was curious of the design and pulled it apart and found it to be photoelectric. The smoke detector didn't even work. My current house in calvert had one smoke detector in the entire house (3000 sqft) that was from 1992, that detector didn't work either. So I guess there has to be some point where they simply fail all together.

Now in both cases I did a complete rewire of new smoke detectors and hardwired/networked them. Neither house had networked smoke detectors. I bought a FireX 10 pack from HD and did the entire house. The old house for rental purposes, this house for safety reasons. The only area of the house that dosen't have a smoke detector is the basement. Every BR has a detector.

I suspect the next thing you will see is that every room will require a smoke detector, this is what you see in new construction. Every single room has a smoke detector. I also think what you will next see or possibly see is that the smoke detector must also contain COx, even though the house has no nat gas. Most likely the rationale behind this is to prevent people from accidentally being a dumbass and buying a strictly ionizing detector for a nat gas house. So if we force everyone to get a COx with ionizing detector, then we are safe!!!

Then of course we can go crazy and put a "heat detector" in the attic. I have a photoelectric detector in the kitchen....

I haven't checked smoke detector tech, but I'm curious how well are the "wireless networking" detectors working? I remember years ago someone bought them to avoid doing the hard-wiring. He ended up having to replace the battery every 2 or so mos. I'm curious if they have a wireless that can last 10-years (sealed). That would kinda be worth it..

Last edited:

steppinthrax

About 6 years ago when I began to rent out my house in Baltimore. There was a law that said you had to have a detector outside the sleeping areas and next to the equipment room and they have to be interconnected and hard wired. If you had nat gas, the out in the equipment room had to be COx type. Later 2 years later they changed it to every floor, later the inspector told me that COx needs to be outside the sleeping areas. It's weird because COx would start next to the gas furnace or water heater? So I just put a COx in every one, because I suspect that would be next too..

littlelady

God bless the USA
In response to step. We have a smoke detector in all rooms of our house. Our house is a year old, and we are not going to replace the 9 volts, until they require new batteries next year; as in 2019. We just replaced all the batteries in the last month or so. They are working because they all started alerting within days of each other for battery change. The most fun is when this happens in the middle of the night, and our dog gets scared because of the high pitched sound, and we have to get up to change it out. :lol:

The way I see it right now, is the gov can bite my butt. We will make the change in 2019. Hub and I have been on this planet for 62 years, and managed just fine. We don’t need our gov to tell us what to do. I am so sick of the overflow of over reaching. And, want to add that we have the carbon monoxide one in our living room with the gas fireplace. Stay safe, y’all.

Last edited:

softtouch

My house had one hard wired detector from when the house was built in 1978.
Three years ago I was on my way out the door for a trip over to Delaware when that thing went off. There is no switch to cut it's power. None of the breakers in the box were labeled as the power source for the detector. I had to trip the main breaker before I could get it down and disconnect it. The only way I could get it to shut up.