Judges 11 More Diplomacy

seekeroftruth

Judges 11:19 “Then Israel sent messengers to Sihon king of the Amorites, who ruled in Heshbon, and said to him, ‘Let us pass through your country to our own place.’ 20 Sihon, however, did not trust Israel(b) to pass through his territory. He mustered all his troops and encamped at Jahaz and fought with Israel.

21 “Then the Lord, the God of Israel, gave Sihon and his whole army into Israel’s hands, and they defeated them. Israel took over all the land of the Amorites who lived in that country, 22 capturing all of it from the Arnon to the Jabbok and from the desert to the Jordan.

23 “Now since the Lord, the God of Israel, has driven the Amorites out before his people Israel, what right have you to take it over? 24 Will you not take what your god Chemosh gives you? Likewise, whatever the Lord our God has given us, we will possess. 25 Are you any better than Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab? Did he ever quarrel with Israel or fight with them? 26 For three hundred years Israel occupied Heshbon, Aroer, the surrounding settlements and all the towns along the Arnon. Why didn’t you retake them during that time? 27 I have not wronged you, but you are doing me wrong by waging war against me. Let the Lord, the Judge, decide the dispute this day between the Israelites and the Ammonites.”

28 The king of Ammon, however, paid no attention to the message Jephthah sent him.​

b. Judges 11:20 Or however, would not make an agreement for Israel

This is from the easy English site.

Jephthah began with a discussion that did not offend anyone. ‘Why are you fighting?’ ‘Because you have taken my country’, said the king. ‘Now give it back. Before that time, that country belonged to Ammon’s people.’ Then Jephthah replied. He first explained what had actually happened in the past. Look at verses 15-22. He explained why the country did not belong to Ammon’s people. The people that lived there before had actually been Amorites. The Amorites had taken the country from Moab’s people at first.​

Jephthah then explained how religious beliefs affected the matter. God had given that country to Israel’s people. Chemosh was the god of Ammon’s people. He said that they could have whatever Chemosh gave to them. So that should satisfy them. (Chemosh was actually the god of the people in Moab. The people in Ammon may have had links with Moab’s people. Maybe Jephthah did not know the difference between their gods. He did not know what his own God wanted. So he probably would not know about another god!) Finally, as another reason, he explained a similar event that had happened earlier. Balak had made peace with Israel’s people and he had not demanded to have the country. Israelites had been there for 300 years. The people in Ammon had not decided to say anything during all that time. Then Jephthah said that the Lord was the real judge. He would settle this case.

OK... check out verse 24. My God's bigger than your god.... my God's better than yours.... My God's bigger cause He can give us stuff and your shiny little idol gives you nothing.... My God's Badder Than Yours!

Jephthah told them they could keep the land their god had given them.... because Jephthah knew that God gave that land to the Israelites. And shiny little idols or carved wooden poles can not talk and make land deals. God can and did.

:coffee:

Last edited: