Judges 12 Three more Judges

seekeroftruth

Judges 12:8 After him, Ibzan of Bethlehem led Israel. 9 He had thirty sons and thirty daughters. He gave his daughters away in marriage to those outside his clan, and for his sons he brought in thirty young women as wives from outside his clan. Ibzan led Israel seven years. 10 Then Ibzan died and was buried in Bethlehem.

11 After him, Elon the Zebulunite led Israel ten years. 12 Then Elon died and was buried in Aijalon in the land of Zebulun.

13 After him, Abdon son of Hillel, from Pirathon, led Israel. 14 He had forty sons and thirty grandsons, who rode on seventy donkeys. He led Israel eight years. 15 Then Abdon son of Hillel died and was buried at Pirathon in Ephraim, in the hill country of the Amalekites.​

Did you see that? These people had 30 and 40 children. Yes, I know these men didn't carry the children, or physically care for them. I know these men didn't have all these children with the same woman.... but still... what else did they have time to do beyond procreation? How did the parents have time to teach them how to be civilized? How did the parents have time to get all these children up to date of the law of Moses?

This is from bibletrack.org.

Not much is said about these three judges in Israel - Ibzan, Elon, and Abdon. However, lots of children was traditionally an indicator of wealth in society of that day. It meant you could afford lots of wives. Couple that with a fleet of donkeys, and you have a very wealthy man.

Since these guys didn't do anything Biblical except get rich, get a Judgeship, and have children, I figured I'd throw in this article on donkeys from Bible Track. I saw it back with the judgeship of Jair. The commentaries said that wealth was represented by donkeys.

Donkey Transportation
Easton's Bible Dictionary​
The male ass (Heb. hamor), the common working ass of Western Asia, so called from its red colour. Issachar is compared to a strong ass (Gen. 49:14). It was forbidden to yoke together an ass and an ox in the plough (Deut. 22:10). (3.) The ass’s colt (Heb. ‘air), mentioned Judg. 10:4; 12:14. It is rendered “foal” in Gen. 32:15; 49:11. The ass is an unclean animal, because it does not chew the cud (Lev. 11:26. Comp. 2 Kings 6:25). Asses constituted a considerable portion of wealth in ancient times (Gen. 12:16; 30:43; 1 Chr. 27:30; Job 1:3; 42:12). They were noted for their spirit and their attachment to their master (Isa. 1:3). They are frequently spoken of as having been ridden upon, as by Abraham (Gen. 22:3), Balaam (Num. 22:21), the disobedient prophet (1 Kings 13:23), the family of Abdon the judge, seventy in number (Judg. 12:14), Zipporah (Ex. 4:20), the Shunammite (1 Sam. 25:30), etc. Zechariah (Zech. 9:9) predicted our Lord’s triumphal entrance into Jerusalem, “riding upon an ass, and upon a colt,” etc. (Matt. 21:5).​

I guess.... having a donkey was like having a fine new car.... In our society today.... Abraham would have loaded up his SUV... or Jesus would have ridden into Jerusalem in a borrowed Vette.

The point is these three Judges didn't have much to do with worshiping God. They had to do with procreation and fine material goods..... They must have had a lot of nannies and livery workers.

:coffee: