Whats better than finding out your riding gear works

glhs837

Power with Control
To keep you toasty at 17 degrees F? Seeing another rider out there passing you :) This was last night, also was good this AM when it was single digits. Some minor icing on the visor, however.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
To keep you toasty at 17 degrees F? Seeing another rider out there passing you :) This was last night, also was good this AM when it was single digits. Some minor icing on the visor, however.

Not this kid. It's too cold to even open the trailer door to see if my scooter is even still there. ;-p

Even my Slingshot with a cabin is under it's winter blanket. I don't mind a bit of cold, but this is nutz.

And this from someone who used to to scuba dive in Jan/Feb in NY waters.

glhs837

Power with Control
Even my Slingshot with a cabin is under it's winter blanket. I don't mind a bit of cold, but this is nutz.

And this from someone who used to to scuba dive in Jan/Feb in NY waters.

Nice and toasty in the proper gear. Wife was sure that my 5 mile test ride last night was going to end with my fingers and feet being frozen. She was quite surprised when I touched her and they were warmer than hers.

Balaclava and helmet
Heated gloves with reflective liners
Lightweight Columbia fleece over the sweater I wear for sitting at the desk
Kahkis and thin thermal long johns
Big honking boots that I switch out of at the desk.
And of course the First Gear Thermo-suit.

Only issue is that once you are suited up, you need to get rolling fast, and once you get to wear you are going, you have about two minutes to get out, or you could burst into flames. :) Honestly, had I double checked the temsp and seen the single digits, I might have waved off riding in this am, that being almost ten degrees colder than the test run last night. Glad I didn't, since this was my first chance to ride since before Xmas. and the next two days are a wash what with the snow.

Nice and toasty in the proper gear. Wife was sure that my 5 mile test ride last night was going to end with my fingers and feet being frozen. She was quite surprised when I touched her and they were warmer than hers.

Balaclava and helmet
Heated gloves with reflective liners
Lightweight Columbia fleece over the sweater I wear for sitting at the desk
Kahkis and thin thermal long johns
Big honking boots that I switch out of at the desk.
And of course the First Gear Thermo-suit.

Only issue is that once you are suited up, you need to get rolling fast, and once you get to wear you are going, you have about two minutes to get out, or you could burst into flames. :) Honestly, had I double checked the temsp and seen the single digits, I might have waved off riding in this am, that being almost ten degrees colder than the test run last night. Glad I didn't, since this was my first chance to ride since before Xmas. and the next two days are a wash what with the snow.

And somehow this brings up the scene in 'A Christmas Story' where the kid is all dressed up and cries he can't put his arms down.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And somehow this brings up the scene in 'A Christmas Story' where the kid is all dressed up and cries he can't put his arms down.

[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-004&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla&p=randy+christmas+story+arms#id=2&vid=39da2204b749a613b019e5688d76ac76&action=click[/video]

:lmao:

black dog

Free America
I hope you have studded tires, that ice is a bitch when cornering...
I don't mind the cold,, but that ice...

glhs837

Power with Control
I hope you have studded tires, that ice is a bitch when cornering...
I don't mind the cold,, but that ice...

Inlike IN, we have so little snow that after any given storm, there's lot of warm dry days after any given storm to make sure there is no ice around. I always "preflight" the path to work before riding in freezing temps to check for water on the roadways. Even so, I'm looking like a hawk for any signs of ice in case some chucklehead with a bunch of water in his truck bed from his garage isn't laying down an icefield ahead of me. That actually happened a couple years back. I saw the guy up ahead of me in line for gate 3, every time he moved forward, some water would leave his truck bed and freeze on the ground.

I expect no riding for a few days after this snowfall tonight.

black dog

Free America
Inlike IN, we have so little snow that after any given storm, there's lot of warm dry days after any given storm to make sure there is no ice around. I always "preflight" the path to work before riding in freezing temps to check for water on the roadways. Even so, I'm looking like a hawk for any signs of ice in case some chucklehead with a bunch of water in his truck bed from his garage isn't laying down an icefield ahead of me. That actually happened a couple years back. I saw the guy up ahead of me in line for gate 3, every time he moved forward, some water would leave his truck bed and freeze on the ground.

I expect no riding for a few days after this snowfall tonight.

I did that 11 months a year on a scooter in Maryland for a long time, preflighting is good.. I have a pair of pants that my son has somehow aquired that I believe they are Carrier Deck pants from Uncle Sam, heavy green nylon inside and out and they are lined with that compressed wool like a boot liner.. warm,warm warm...
Be safe, that asphalt is hard...

glhs837

Power with Control
I did that 11 months a year on a scooter in Maryland for a long time, preflighting is good.. I have a pair of pants that my son has somehow aquired that I believe they are Carrier Deck pants from Uncle Sam, heavy green nylon inside and out and they are lined with that compressed wool like a boot liner.. warm,warm warm...
Be safe, that asphalt is hard...

I'm really surprised at how well the relatively thin suit insulates me. Not sure what's in there, but while I can tell it's frozen hell outside, it keeps that, and any water outside. Been making it home through heavy rain at 50 degrees and climb out dry as a bone. I do adjust for reduced grip and increased idiocy form drivers :)