Another Intel CPU design flaw

Starman

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Updated A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.

Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model.

Damn. Missed a hell of an opportunity to short INTC.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I my ...

Was not a "design flaw". Was intentionally designed that way for backdoor access by the alphabet agencies.

Starman

If I my ...

Was not a "design flaw". Was intentionally designed that way for backdoor access by the alphabet agencies.

Eh, they've had all the access they need for a while. There are far, far easier ways to pop a machine than what's required for this to work.