Garage door company

officeguy

Anyone has a good garage door company they can recommend ? Spring broke and it's one of those things that I dont like to mess with.

PeoplesElbow

Anyone has a good garage door company they can recommend ? Spring broke and it's one of those things that I dont like to mess with.

I had superior garage door and fireplace in prince frederick put in a new door and tracks for me, they did a good job at a reasonable price.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If you tried to do it yourself, you would actually be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to replace. Lowes sells replacement springs. Find your spring size, then with the garage door in its fully opened position, install the new one. Easy peezy.

If I may ...

If you tried to do it yourself, you would actually be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to replace. Lowes sells replacement springs. Find your spring size, then with the garage door in its fully opened position, install the new one. Easy peezy.

NOT if it is a tension spring! If you don't know what you are doing while removing or installing a new one, you could injure or kill yourself. Not a DIY job unless you have the experience.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lowe's sell a few tension springs, but no torsion springs.
Either can be hazardous if you don't know how to install them properly.

I worked at a garage door company 4 years back in the late 80's.
I will adjust a torsion spring, but not replace it.

If you do have tension (aka stretch) springs, make sure the safety cable is also replaced.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

NOT if it is a tension spring! If you don't know what you are doing while removing or installing a new one, you could injure or kill yourself. Not a DIY job unless you have the experience.

Most everything is a DIY job. With a torsion spring, with the door open, set the new spring, wind slowly the recommend turns, using two wind rods. Do a quarter turn then hold while placing second rod in another hole position, repeat til wound and lock down with clamping bolts. What's so hard?

officeguy

It's a torsion spring. And as I said, its one of the things I don't like to mess with. For the garage door guy with the right tool its a 15 minute safe job. I have seen what happens to fingers if you dont do it right.

1stGenSMIB

So, mine broke a couple years ago right after my wife had exited the garage...it came slamming down behind her. :belvak: I went from a single spring to a double spring with parts from these guys (link below). Just buy the parts and tools watch the vids. My thought was if one breaks again, at least it will slam more slowly next time. :eyebrow:

The only part of this that is a PITA is the cables..mine are the spool type on the ends, and had no signs of wear or damage, so I did not replace them.

https://www.garagedoornation.com/

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I replaced my door a couple of years ago and used Sacks Garage Doors. 410/586-0689