Gas hot water heater

frequentflier

happy to be living
Possibly in need of a service/repairman for a gas appliance.

My store has natural gas and the heat and dryer work but the continuous flow water heater is running cold.
Anyone?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

My store has natural gas and the heat and dryer work but the continuous flow water heater is running cold.
Anyone?
Is it a tank less hot water heater?
If it is, clean the filter.

black dog

Free America
Take off the access door at the bottom of the hot water heater and check if the gas pilot is lit if it has a standing pilot. If it has a standing pilot and it is out, go through the lighting procedure on the label on the side of the heater.
If it is a power vent heater with electronic lighting the blinking light bulb will be blinking a code and most likely it's service call time. A power vent heater has a pvc exhaust run to the outside and a electric fan that pushes the exhaust outside.
A regular gas heater will have 2-3" single or double wall metal pipe from the top of the heater outside.
It could just be the pilot is out, or a dirty or bad thermocouple or a bad glass fuse at the burner assy to someone bumped one of the red valves on the gas control box.
If working with gas makes you nervous maybe a service call is in order..

frequentflier

happy to be living
Take off the access door at the bottom of the hot water heater and check if the gas pilot is lit if it has a standing pilot. If it has a standing pilot and it is out, go through the lighting procedure on the label on the side of the heater.
If it is a power vent heater with electronic lighting the blinking light bulb will be blinking a code and most likely it's service call time. A power vent heater has a pvc exhaust run to the outside and a electric fan that pushes the exhaust outside.
A regular gas heater will have 2-3" single or double wall metal pipe from the top of the heater outside.
It could just be the pilot is out, or a dirty or bad thermocouple or a bad glass fuse at the burner assy to someone bumped one of the red valves on the gas control box.
If working with gas makes you nervous maybe a service call is in order..

I am looking for a recommendation for a service person.

black dog

Free America

Anyone?

Then you should have left off the word " Possibly" as the opening word...
And opened with I need a recommendation, if you had, other posts above would have had different responses...... Sorry mine and others posts are worthless to you...
Good Luck...

Tech

Before spending money, check the exhaust. With the snow, cold and wind, drifting sniw can block, moisture in exhaust can freeze and block and if the wind hits it just right it may cause the sensor believe it's blocked.

RPMDAD

ff, any plumber should be able to fix it. I have used Paul Hayden in Huntingtown (410) 257-3025

frequentflier

happy to be living
The hot water seemed to be running just fine today- major relief! The potential pain of finding someone to fix and/or the expense to replace was high on my stress list.
But thanks, everyone, for their advice.

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

e hot water seemed to be running just fine today- major relief! The potential pain of finding someone to fix and/or the expense to replace was high on my stress list.
But thanks, everyone, for their advice.
You may want to carefully inspect all your pipes. You may have had one freeze but not quite burst.... in which case you are at a high risk of an actual burst in the near future.

willie

You may want to carefully inspect all your pipes. You may have had one freeze but not quite burst.... in which case you are at a high risk of an actual burst in the near future.

Good advice and this morning (Sunday) is even colder.

pemlee

start with your gas/propane supplier. I have had great service from Taylor gas in lex park. Also received great service from Downs plumbing in Leonardtown. All services were gas water heater related

frequentflier

happy to be living
start with your gas/propane supplier. I have had great service from Taylor gas in lex park. Also received great service from Downs plumbing in Leonardtown. All services were gas water heater related

We have natural gas at the strip mall my store is in. Though it is not that common in this area, many homes on Dowell Road also have Washington Gas.
Heating my store is way cheaper than with electric plus the dryer and hot water tank.
Thanks for the referral for Downs Plumbing. I sure hope I don't need them!