Judges 14 Love At First Sight

seekeroftruth

Judges 14:1 Samson went down to Timnah and saw there a young Philistine woman. 2 When he returned, he said to his father and mother, “I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife.”

3 His father and mother replied, “Isn’t there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?”

But Samson said to his father, “Get her for me. She’s the right one for me.” 4 (His parents did not know that this was from the Lord, who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines; for at that time they were ruling over Israel.)​

This is from Bible.org.

Samson’s parents were rightly concerned. They would have had concerns had their son been a normal Israelite, but Samson had been designated a Nazirite even before he was conceived. How could he possibly fulfill his mission in life while married to a Philistine woman? And so Mr. and Mrs. Manoah expressed their concerns. Surely there was some young woman from among their tribe, or at least from some Israelite tribe, that he might find as an acceptable wife. Why would he seek a wife from among the uncircumcised Philistines?

This is from the easy English site.

Samson was a man that did unusual things. He wanted a woman that was a Philistine as his wife. There was a law that Israel’s people must not marry people from other nations. Usually parents arranged marriages. Samson caused his parents a shock when he wanted to marry a ‘dirty’ person. (They considered the Philistines as if they were ‘dirty’. This was because the Philistines were ‘uncircumcised’. This is what the original word means here. ‘Uncircumcised’ means that nobody had removed the skin from the sexual part in the male body.) Samson did not obey his parents’ wishes. The marriage was a different type from what was usual. In this case, the bride remained with her own family. The husband came as a guest and he brought presents. The children would belong to the mother’s family. The writer does not describe the woman that Samson wanted to marry as a virgin. Perhaps she was a widow or perhaps she had had a divorce. The writer shows that God even uses people’s failures in order to perform his plans.

Samson.... reminds me of the spoiled rich kid down the street. His parents thought they would never have a child and then he came along. He was their "miracle" child. As soon as they found out he was on his way, his parents started making changes for him. His mom never drank or ate anything that had to do with grapes..... now he's a "man". After all their sacrifice for their miracle son.... he wants to go out and violate the law of the land.... he wants to marry one of those Philistines..... spoiled brat! Figures.... Dysfunctional Family....

Someone should have given Samson a spanking so he wouldn't grow up and break his parents' heart like that.... wait.... is this God's doing?

:coffee: