Michael Wolff tells a juicy tale in his new Trump book. But should we believe it?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A provocateur and media polemicist, Wolff has a penchant for stirring up an argument and pushing the facts as far as they’ll go, and sometimes further than they can tolerate, according to his critics. He has been accused of not just re-creating scenes in his books and columns, but of creating them wholesale.

[clip]

Wolff, 64, has said his book was based on 200 interviews with White House and campaign staffers, including Bannon. He didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment.

His reliability has been challenged before — over quotes, descriptions and general accounts he’s provided in his many newspaper and magazine columns and in several books. Wolff has even acknowledged that he can be unreliable: As he recounted in “Burn Rate” — his best-selling book about his time as an early Internet entrepreneur — Wolff kept his bankers at bay by fabricating a story about his father-in-law having open-heart surgery.

“How many fairly grievous lies had I told?” he wrote. “How many moral lapses had I committed? How many ethical breaches had I fallen into? . . . Like many another financial conniver, I was in a short-term mode.” Wolff’s business collapsed in 1997.

“Burn Rate” came under siege from critics who challenged its credibility, including the long verbatim conversations that Wolff recounted despite taking scant notes. Brill’s Content, a now-defunct media-review publication, cited a dozen people who disputed quotes attributed to them in the book.

Wolff followed up “Burn Rate” by taking over the media column at New York magazine, where he almost immediately ran into trouble. Judith Regan, then a hotshot book editor who had been a classmate of Wolff’s at Vassar, vigorously disputed almost every paragraph of Wolff’s column about her. She said she hadn’t had a personal conversation with Wolff in 30 years.

Michael Wolff tells a juicy tale in his new Trump book. But should we believe it?

Starman

A provocateur and media polemicist, Wolff has a penchant for stirring up an argument and pushing the facts as far as they’ll go, and sometimes further than they can tolerate, according to his critics. He has been accused of not just re-creating scenes in his books and columns, but of creating them wholesale.

That’s some context for Wolff’s most explosive bit of reporting to date: A scathing new book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” describing dysfunction and infighting in Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and the first year of his presidency, replete with damning criticism of Trump from within his inner circle.

According to an unauthorized report in the Guardian newspaper and a lengthy excerpt in New York magazine, Wolff portrays Trump and his closest aides as astonished by his electoral victory in 2016, and wholly unprepared for office. Trump, he reports, had no idea who former House speaker John A. Boehner was when Roger Ailes, a campaign adviser, recommended him as chief of staff. Top advisers and allies doubted the president’s intelligence and openly mocked him.

But Wolff’s sharpest revelations concern comments attributed to Stephen K. Bannon, Trump’s campaign chairman and former White House chief strategist. In on-the-record interviews with Wolff, Bannon called a meeting between the Trump campaign’s top advisers and Russian representatives in mid-2016 “treasonous” and “unpatriotic” — furthering the narrative of Trump’s harshest critics.

What exactly was "unauthorized" about it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's another bull#### hit piece and the only reason we're hearing about it non-stop is because it's Trump. There were plenty of "tell-alls" published about Barack Obama and they got precisely zero play in the news. But because it's Trump, every single crank with a word processor is becoming a celebrity.

Supposedly every single person in Trump's administration thinks he's retarded and insane....and yet we'll notice they accepted their jobs. Not to mention many of them are going public to say that they never said the things Wolff is attributing to them.

Bannon is about the only person who isn't denying, and even he is all over anyone who will have him to say that Trump is an excellent President. Not to mention that Bannon, in seconds, went from being Satan to the darling of the Left.

:rolleyes:

Politics in this country has gotten to be tabloid bull#### and it says something about us that we've allowed it. The book I'm reading is set during the 1600s and they're burning witches based on rumors that take on a life of their own. Some of us haven't really evolved from that.

transporter

So what pray tell did GURPS leave out of this "cut and paste"??

Well gee children there is this part:

Trump isn’t exactly disputing Wolff’s reporting, nor has Bannon backed down from them.

Now here is the wonderful point to make to the cultists that, yet again, shows in 1980 x 1020 clarity how unfit Donald Trump is to be President and it has nothing to do with what is in the book as most of the excerpts only confirm what every knew before the election (yes, Trump is a buffoon).

Trump's reaction is the clarion bell, again. Did he refute it? No. Did he present proof that it is untrue? Of course not as Trump never has any proof of anything he says. Trump attacked the author and, as of this morning, is calling Steve Bannon childish names. Oh, and of course, our illustrious President has, yet again, threatened to sue.

Trump is such a child. He could not pay a mom and pop plumbing shop for work they did in one of his hotels...he could sic his lawyers on them and always win as the mom and pop had no ability to fight. Trump still hasn't figured out he can't bully everyone and he keeps getting his teeth kicked in.

Trump has already lost this fight and lost it huuuugely. The publisher put the book out for sale last night...4 days early. Why? Our incompetent President created a marketing buzz too lucrative for the publisher not to cash in on. It is the same exact mistake Trump made in his fight with Stephen Colbert.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wolff, 64, has said his book was based on 200 interviews with White House and campaign staffers, including Bannon. He didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment.

This_person

Not to mention many of them are going public to say that they never said the things Wolff is attributing to them.

CBS said:

I see your point.

The book I'm reading is set during the 1600s and they're burning witches based on rumors that take on a life of their own. Some of us haven't really evolved from that.

I thought they actually hung them, not burned them (like the stories say)??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

They did both, and they stoned them, and they buried them alive. First they tortured them into "confessing", and if they didn't "confess" it was presumed that they were witches because they could withstand the torture without cracking. There were a number of fun methods the Middle Agers used to torture and kill people. Many communities had a dedicated chamber for it - that's not just in the movies.

Witch hysteria wasn't only in the colonies here, but quite widespread globally. When you read the history of it, it gives you a terrific insight into human nature, and you'll recognize a lot of present day behaviors.

glhs837

Power with Control

I see your point.

I think there were regional and conditional differences. For instance, not so many of the "water challenges" during January. Probably more of the burnings then.

Chris0nllyn

Politics in this country has gotten to be tabloid bull#### and it says something about us that we've allowed it.

You actively voted for and continue to excuse the actions of a President who ran an entire campaign on this "tabloid bull####". You loved it then. You loved him being straightforward and "telling it like it is".

We've slowly moved away from people who care about being an elected official and continue to move away from that. Multiple Bushs. Multiple Clintons ran. A community organizer with no experience. And now Trump. Don't be surprised when poltics became a joke, we've treated it like one for some time now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You actively voted for and continue to excuse the actions of a President who ran an entire campaign on this "tabloid bull####". You loved it then. You loved him being straightforward and "telling it like it is".

Okay, so you think straighforwardness, honesty, and calling things what they are is tabloid bull####?

Alrighty then. Such a libertarian you are. :yay:

We've slowly moved away from people who care about being an elected official

Hello??? We decided we *don't* want people who all they care about is being an elected official. We want someone who cares about what's good for the people of the United States.

Why is this hard for you to understand?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't be surprised when poltics became a joke, we've treated it like one for some time now.

And while I'm at it, you seem to have "governing" and "politics" confused, and let me assure you they are not the same thing. Politics IS a joke. It *should be* a joke. Governing is what should matter, not ####ing politics and bull#### party games.

Chris0nllyn

Okay, so you think straighforwardness, honesty, and calling things what they are is tabloid bull####?

Alrighty then. Such a libertarian you are. :yay:

You do this all the time, and I'm not sure why.

I can only assume you believe Trump is honest. News flash, one can be honest, straightforward, and calling things for what they are without being a dick and blathering all over Twitter about how great he/she is.

Politics in general has moved away from elected officials caring about the people they represent (note that one can be an elected official, even for a long period of time, without being entrenched in their party) and Trump certainly has not done anything to reverse the idea that politics in this country are a joke.

The office these people run for should never be considered a joke. That sort of attitude leads to people NOT voting, and some ####head being in office and passing stupid bills that get brought up all the time on this forum. Call it politics, or governing, or circle jerking, I don't care. Doesn't change the fact that these people believe they are above us, and not that they work for us.

Before trying to use my poltical affiliation as a dig, learn a bit about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can only assume you believe Trump is honest. News flash, one can be honest, straightforward, and calling things for what they are without being a dick and blathering all over Twitter about how great he/she is.

If you don't like it, go #### yourself. I DO like it and not everything in the world revolves around your petty whiny boy wants. Go cry somewhere and get over yourself. If you need a puppy to cuddle, Apollo is available for $150/hr. Coloring books are extra.

This is the problem with you people: you think everything is about you and to hell with what anyone else wants. Your team lost. Get over it.

Chris0nllyn

If you don't like it, go #### yourself. I DO like it and not everything in the world revolves around your petty whiny boy wants. Go cry somewhere and get over yourself. If you need a puppy to cuddle, Apollo is available for $150/hr. Coloring books are extra.

This is the problem with you people: you think everything is about you and to hell with what anyone else wants. Your team lost. Get over it.

:lol: I think it's childish and petty, that's all. I recognize he is my President and there's nothing I'm going to do about that.

Now go on and talk about how intolerant the left is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lol: I think it's childish and petty, that's all. I recognize he is my President and there's nothing I'm going to do about that.

Now go on and talk about how intolerant the left is.

Stop. Really. If you want to call me "intolerant" because I'm sick of the keening and caterwauling by supposed adults who are having tantrums because they didn't get their way, that just makes you as childish as they are.

Grow your ass up.

Chris0nllyn

Stop. Really. If you want to call me "intolerant" because I'm sick of the keening and caterwauling by supposed adults who are having tantrums because they didn't get their way, that just makes you as childish as they are.

Grow your ass up.

No. You're intolerant because of what you said. "If you don't like it, go #### yourself."

You're intolerant because you can't even be bothered to view anything that you perceive to be different than your own opinion.

1. lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.
2. unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect persons of a different social group, especially members of a minority group.
3. incapacity or indisposition to bear or endure: intolerance to heat.
4. abnormal sensitivity or allergy to a food, drug, etc.
5. an intolerant act.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/intolerance

I'm calling you intolerant because you fit the definition. Not because of any view you have. Don't twist it into it being my fault.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You're intolerant because you can't even be bothered to view anything that you perceive to be different than your own opinion.

This last year alone I have been subjected to a constant barrage of "different than my own opinion". I am positive that your little video is nothing that I haven't already seen 18 billion times. It's boring. It's repetitious. It's not enlightening or even entertaining. It's a complete waste of time.

So I'm "intolerant" because I have no interest in seeing it AGAIN?

Or do you think calling me names will make me watch that dumb vid of dumb college kids navel gazing? Because let me assure you, it will not.