Iceland’s Equal Pay Regime Will Hurt, Not Help, Women. We Don’t Need It.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Iceland this week took its equal pay law to a new level, as a law took effect requiring employers to prove they don’t discriminate against women in monetary compensation.

Contrary to ecstatic exclamations from the likes of Hollywood actress Patricia Arquette, tennis great Billie Jean King, and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., both Iceland and the United States—like most developed countries—already require equal pay for equal work. These equal pay laws are enforced by employee complaints and litigation.

[clip]

The small Nordic nation adopted the law in June 2017 in an effort to root out even the small, unexplained pay gap that remains after reasonable factors are taken into account to explain the so-called raw wage gap.

That’s a knee-jerk policy response to a rather complicated problem, with far-reaching implications for Iceland’s economy.

The raw wage gap is simply the median difference in pay for full-time, year-round workers by gender. For U.S. workers, this wage gap meant women made 80.5 cents to every dollar men made in 2016, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

After accounting for factors such as occupation, hours worked, education, tenure, and so on, the wage gap shrinks substantially. What remains is the “unexplained” wage gap.

In the U.S. context, about 5 to 7 percent of the wage gap is unexplained. In Iceland, the gap was similar, at 5.7 percent.

The fact of an unexplained gap does not necessarily imply discrimination. It simply means that researchers have not been able to quantify certain explanatory factors.

Iceland’s Equal Pay Regime Will Hurt, Not Help, Women. We Don’t Need It.

Starman

What’s wrong with equal pay for equal productivity?

Women can do anything a man can do but....

Women make less than men because they are less productive than men once you account for having babies and taking a day or two off once a month while they are moody.

BOP

So I see a time in America when all workers both great and small are under a GS-type wage system, which, by the way, the government has been trying to get rid of for decades in favor of pay-for-performance.

Under a GS system, longevity is really the only thing that substantively matters. That is the only way an employer can "prove" that they do not pay a woman less based on anything other than time-in-grade. So if Alice and I are engineers, and we are both GS-13s, but I'm a step 6 and she's a step 2, I'll make more than her, but it's easier to prove that I'm making more simply because I've been on the job longer than she has. Note that that disregards the fact that I may be retired military, whereas she never served, so I was either hired in at a hire than usual starting wage (grade) or else I negotiated a higher step than she did. I'm not sure that that happens so often that it's statistically significant. On the other hand, feminazis will point to a single instance that proves the rule if it supports their narrative, so really, you can't win.

Hijinx

Women make less than men because they are less productive than men once you account for having babies and taking a day or two off once a month while they are moody.

If women can do anything a man can do and do it with equal ability, why are there women's tennis women's golf. Women's anything?
Women cannot do many jobs men can do and do them equally and anyone who thinks they can is not wrapped too tight.

Rommey

How does seniority figure into the equation? If two workers are doing the same job, but one has been there for 10 years and the other has been there one, should they be paid exactly the same? I think it is rather complicated to look at two people doing the same job and take no other considerations into account, such as training, certificates, licenses, etc.
Women make less than men because they are less productive than men once you account for having babies
That's becoming less a "woman" issue as more dads are taking fraternity leave...

and taking a day or two off once a month while they are moody.
Does this actually happen (I mean taking days off for that reason, not being moody)?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So, say, pay both men and women an hourly wage then schedule the women to say, work only 4 hours a day, while scheduling the men to work 8 hours. Hey, the women are getting paid as much as the men. Fixed. Equal pay.