Costco price labels perfectly expose the absurdity of Seattle’s new sugary drink tax

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Pricing labels at a Seattle Costco have garnered much attention because they show just how much soda and other sugary drinks now cost Seattle residents. A CBS News manager tweeted pictures showing the price increase of two drinks.

In the first case, the price of a case of Dr. Pepper (36 cans) nearly doubled. According to the picture, Costco sells the soda for $9.99. But with an added tax of $7.56, the soda now costs customers $17.55. In the second case, Costco sells a case of Gatorade for $15.99. But the tax adds $10.34 to the price, which brings the total cost to $26.33.

[clip]

Last June, the Seattle city council passed a 1.75 cents per ounce tax on sugary drinks. The tax affects sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, juice and other non-milk based products. Non-milk based drinks include many of those sold at Starbucks and other coffee shops. Diet drinks and those from small distributors are exempt from the tax.

Distributors are required to pay the tax. However, the added cost has been directly passed on to consumers in most cases.

The purpose of the tax, Seattle’s progressive leaders allege, is to help thwart people from purchasing the drinks. Much of the tax will be used to fund programs designed to educate young people on making healthy choices.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...he-absurdity-of-seattles-new-sugary-drink-tax

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think that if the people of Seattle want to pay exorbitant taxes on their soft drinks, that is their right. :shrug:

Hijinx

I think that if the people of Seattle want to pay exorbitant taxes on their soft drinks, that is their right. :shrug:

I think the Government has no business forcing people to eat or drink an item by passing an exorbitant tax on that product.
And if anyone in Seattle thinks that the Government that passed this tax will use the money for any programs worth having I have a Bridge to sell them.
It will go in some politicians pocket.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the Government has no business forcing people to eat or drink an item by passing an exorbitant tax on that product.
And if anyone in Seattle thinks that the Government that passed this tax will use the money for any programs worth having I have a Bridge to sell them.
It will go in some politicians pocket.

That is completely up to Seattle voters. Clearly they like their nanny state, just as New Yorkers like theirs. Nobody is forcing them to purchase the drinks (unlike, say, health insurance).

If they didn't realize that the soft drink companies would pass those taxes on to the consumer, they are stupid and deserve to get fleeced.

Hijinx

That is completely up to Seattle voters. Clearly they like their nanny state, just as New Yorkers like theirs. Nobody is forcing them to purchase the drinks (unlike, say, health insurance).

If they didn't realize that the soft drink companies would pass those taxes on to the consumer, they are stupid and deserve to get fleeced.

Any tax placed onAnybusiness is passed on the the consumer.

So I take a drive one day a month out of Seattle and head for the nearest place without a tax, and buy a few cases of whatever drink I like.

It's a bit like waiting till my tank gets empty and going to Va. to fill up.
Hogan keeps our bridge at the $6.00 toll to stop it, but we still do it.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
In the first case, the price of a case of Dr. Pepper (36 cans) nearly doubled. According to the picture, Costco sells the soda for $9.99. But with an added tax of $7.56, the soda now costs customers $17.55. In the second case, Costco sells a case of Gatorade for $15.99. But the tax adds $10.34 to the price, which brings the total cost to $26.33.

They would use 2 of my staples as examples. I'm happy too say my home brewed is better than Starbuck's, so I would dodge the bullet there.

A $.99 Arizona would cost $3.23! :yikes:

Rommey

The purpose of the tax, Seattle’s progressive leaders allege, is to help thwart people from purchasing the drinks.
If that's their true goal, then why not just flat out ban those drinks?
Diet drinks and those from small distributors are exempt from the tax.

Distributors are required to pay the tax. However, the added cost has been directly passed on to consumers in most cases.
How long before a slew of "small" distributors pop (pardon the pun) up to bypass this law?

I'm guessing that, like a lot of governments that put in a new tax, they have already "spent" that additional funding on something other than their stated intent.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Any tax placed onAnybusiness is passed on the the consumer.

Of course. Just like raising the minimum wage is passed on to the consumer. Again, Seattle residents either want to pay it, or they're stupid.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Just buy diet soda to avoid the tax.

I don't understand how juice ended up being taxed. Other than cranberry juice, there isn't any additional sugar added to them.

Hijinx

If that's their true goal, then why not just flat out ban those drinks?
How long before a slew of "small" distributors pop (pardon the pun) up to bypass this law?

I'm guessing that, like a lot of governments that put in a new tax, they have already "spent" that additional funding on something other than their stated intent.

Really smart folks. Which is worse. Sugar or Aspertame.?

I'll stick with Sugar.No aspertame for me.

Rommey

A $.99 Arizona would cost $3.23! :yikes:
Talk about a regressive tax...I didn't think the libs like to unfairly tax the poor and middle classes.

I wonder if this tax applies to restaurants or food outlets serving fountain drinks...or what the cost of a soda at a Seahawks/Mariners game would cost.

Starman

This is just a scheme to pump money from federal to local.

All that 'sugar' is corn sugar which is subsidized. Quit subsidizing these corn farmers at the federal level and the prices will naturally rise. Not this much most likely, but some.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
This is just a scheme to pump money from federal to local.

All that 'sugar' is corn sugar which is subsidized. Quit subsidizing these corn farmers at the federal level and the prices will naturally rise. Not this much most likely, but some.

Corn for sugar or feed is not subsidized. Only corn for ethanol.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
For the same reason they don't ban cigarettes:

$$$$$$$

NYC is the cigarette smuggling capital of the US: study

New York state has a state tax of $4.35 per pack, and the city adds on another $1.50.

:faint:

Those astronomical cigarette taxes have driven the black market in smokes that cost the city an estimated $740 million in 2015 — and the state about $895 million on top of that — according to the Tax Foundation analysts’ calculations for The Post.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
NYC is the cigarette smuggling capital of the US: study

New York state has a state tax of $4.35 per pack, and the city adds on another $1.50

:faint:

Those astronomical cigarette taxes have driven the black market in smokes that cost the city an estimated $740 million in 2015 — and the state about $895 million on top of that — according to the Tax Foundation analysts’ calculations for The Post.

Just like the shopping bags of ciggy's going into the trunks cars with MD plates across the bridge......