Frozen water pipes

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Me, this morning the main entering the house froze up (temp was -6 when I got up). Took about 10 minutes with a blow-dryer to get it to open back up, then applied some heat tape and all should be well.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Actually had the sewage drain line from the office freeze up. Dumped a bunch of hot water down the cleanout and it cut loose with a vengeance!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Pipes at my kids' place froze the night before last. I baby sat a woodstove and 2 propane heaters yesterday to no avail. Daughter texted me this afternoon and they finally broke loose. The first floor is just a storage area that doesn't have central heating.

Hannibal

We found some puddling water in our utilities closet that houses the instant hot propane water heater. It was determined that a condensate line which usually daylights and dumps through the exterior wall had developed an ice dam over the course of a few days and backed up. So each drop from the tank resulted in a little more water on the floor. Luckily we caught it before it was too much of an issue. We cycled some hot water down the pipe and after about 30 minutes of playing that game - she broke loose and worked just fine. Seems like a terrible design but then again, seeing temps as low as we've had for several days in a row is quite uncommon and exposes little things like this that would otherwise be a non-issue.

Hannibal

I just can't get over how many of you have indoor plumbing.

I have a split system. I use the indoor plumbing when inside but often utilize the outdoor "plumbing" when working/hanging outside the walls. Only for #1 of course. I tend to miss a lot less when aiming for a tree as opposed to the center of a toilet bowl.

Goldenhawk

What year were the building codes changed to eliminate plumbing installed in exterior walls? I think that's probably where most of the issues arise.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Curious, is this line near an exterior wall? That sounds like an unlikely place for that to happen.

Yes.
But the weird part is that it is close to the bathroom sink( about 2 ft.) that is on the same wall and it was fine.

General Lee

Yes.
But the weird part is that it is close to the bathroom sink( about 2 ft.) that is on the same wall and it was fine.

Same size lines? If the toilet line is smaller I can see why it froze and not the sink line. Orrr, Sink line was being used more to keep water moving, ambient temps under the sink are warmer just enough to prevent a freeze?? I'm baffled.