Local Business Rec to buy residential propane tank

Prodigal

Does anyone out there own their own 500 to 1000 gallon propane tank and if so where did you buy it. Have called suppliers (Sububan, Taylors, etc) but they only rents tanks. I want one I can bury.

black dog

Free America
I bought mine from Thrifty out here in Indiana. I know they serve part of Maryland but I believe the farthest south they serve is AA co.

Prodigal

I know there is someone local cause it seems many ppl own their own. Suburban just charged me 8.50 per gallon to fill it. Don’t think so!

willie

Years ago I researched where was the best company for propane and service. It was Taylor Gas hands down and in 27 years I have never been disappointed. For some reason, the propane business has a lot of crooks but Taylor is not one of them. As for the original question about ownership of the tank, I had a leak in the tank gauge that lost about 60% of fuel. Taylor replaced the tank and credited me for the lost fuel. If I had owned the tank that would have all been on me.

Last edited:
Check again with Taylor Gas. I just spoke with a driver with them and he actually delivers all sizes to people who are buying the tanks.

Prodigal

Thanks all. Taylor isn’t taking new customers right now bc of demand. Will start again in Feb. I decided to go with Burch. They were comparable to taylor. Ultimately I decided to go with buying my own and burying it for aesthetics Hope I don’t regret.

glhs837

Power with Control
Thanks all. Taylor isn’t taking new customers right now bc of demand. Will start again in Feb. I decided to go with Burch. They were comparable to taylor. Ultimately I decided to go with buying my own and burying it for aesthetics Hope I don’t regret.

Watch Burch like a hawk........

glhs837

Power with Control
Propane side or fuel oil, really two different operations under one roof.

That was propane, and quite a while ago, but nothing I've heard in the intervening years leads me to believe that they are any better than they were then.

wintersprings

Taylor Gas did mine, about 10 years ago, here is the sticker shock.

The tank, 500 gal is just over $1,000, plus the $500 for putting it in the ground.

Then there is the first fill up, to 80% full so 400 Gal x $3.45 a gal is over $1380.

So you are talking close to $3K - $4K, then I get it filled up 2x a year on average with a $600 charge each time Taylor Gas shows up.

???

You actually buried the propane tank? You'll really like the aesthetics (fireworks) when someone knocks the valve off the tank, or when it starts to rust!

officeguy

If you purchased your tank, you are not married to Burch for ongoing deliveries. The other gas company may send a tech to inspect the system prior to them filling it, but as long as you have proof that you own the tank they'll gladly take your business.