Judges 16 Town Gates Stolen

seekeroftruth

Judges 16:1 One day Samson went to Gaza, where he saw a prostitute. He went in to spend the night with her. 2 The people of Gaza were told, “Samson is here!” So they surrounded the place and lay in wait for him all night at the city gate. They made no move during the night, saying, “At dawn we’ll kill him.”

3 But Samson lay there only until the middle of the night. Then he got up and took hold of the doors of the city gate, together with the two posts, and tore them loose, bar and all. He lifted them to his shoulders and carried them to the top of the hill that faces Hebron.​

Oh my the commentaries are preachy this morning. Samson, apparently a young man, went to Gaza and slept with a hooker.

The commentaries lament that Samson was special, God was involved. Even though Samson has no faith, his parents were visited and they had done everything they were instructed to do. This boy just has a need.

I'm not condoning Samson's hooker event. He's a great example of a bad teen.... in a family that should not have a bad teen.... his parents did everything right.... mom followed all the instructions.... all of them.... and this kid is a problem.....

Ok this is from the easy English site....

Samson visited a woman that sold sex. This shows that he was like Israel’s people. When he was not freeing Israel’s people, he was like them. His body was very strong. But he could not control his feelings, so in this meaning he was weak. And later this finally caused his defeat. We learn from the Bible how many other people in the Old Testament failed. God used these people. By them, God did what he wanted to do. But they did not behave in a good way in their lives. Samson’s enemies probably watched all day (not all night). Perhaps they did not watch so carefully at night, when they had shut the gates. Now he escaped from Gaza and he carried the gates with him. Later, he was not able to escape from that town. Hebron was about 40 miles from Gaza. Either he carried the gates to Hebron or he took them to a hill. The hill was opposite Hebron.

If this happened today.... I can just imagine the headline Town Gates Stolen!

:coffee: