ICE raids 98 7/11 Stores Nationwide Today

calvcopf

What do you think about the ICE raids on the 7/11 stores today?

Including some in DC and Maryland.

They have been hiring illegal workers for so many years.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Arrested a whole 21 persons.

Looks like they did this 4 1/2 years ago, too, seized 14 stores.

Last edited:

officeguy

How bout they target gangs like MS-13.... I mean, 7-11's? Really?

The folks at 7-11 work in a dangerous and thankless job. I don't think they are a threat the feds should spend their time on. As long as there is a single MS13 cretin who gets released because ICE doesn't have the manpower to serve a detainer, ICE should stop wasting their time on 7-11 clerks, meatpackers and peach harvesters.

littlelady

God bless the USA
How bout they target gangs like MS-13.... I mean, 7-11's? Really?

The folks at 7-11 work in a dangerous and thankless job. I don't think they are a threat the feds should spend their time on. As long as there is a single MS13 cretin who gets released because ICE doesn't have the manpower to serve a detainer, ICE should stop wasting their time on 7-11 clerks, meatpackers and peach harvesters.

Good posts. Remember Kate.

transporter

President George W. Bush’s administration pursued high-profile criminal investigations against employers in its final years with dramatic pre-dawn shows of force and large numbers of worker arrests. In 2008, agents arrived by helicopter at the Agriprocessors meatpacking plant in Postville, Iowa, and detained nearly 400 workers. Last month, Trump commuted the 27-year prison sentence of Sholom Rubashkin, former chief executive of what was the nation’s largest kosher meatpacking operation.

Barack Obama’s administration more than doubled employer audits to more than 3,100 a year in 2013, shunning Bush’s flashier approach. John Sandweg, an acting ICE director under Obama, said significant fines instilled fear in employers and avoided draining resources from other enforcement priorities, which include child exploitation, human trafficking and money laundering.

Wednesday’s audits arose from a 2013 investigation that resulted in charges against nine 7-Eleven franchisees and managers in New York and Virginia. Eight have pleaded guilty and were ordered to pay more than $2.6 million in back wages, and the ninth was arrested in November.

The managers used more than 25 stolen identities to employ at least 115 people in the country illegally, knowing they could pay below minimum wage, according to court documents.

Neither 7-Eleven nor was its parent company, Seven & I Holding Co. based in Tokyo, was charged in the case.

Julie Myers Wood, former head of ICE during the Bush administration, said the most recent inspections showed that immigration officials were focusing on a repeat violator. Part of the problem, Wood said, is the lack of “a consistent signal” between administrations that the U.S. government will prosecute employers who hire immigrants without legal status.

https://apnews.com/cb0ef682ea534ff0b5d31e7c054a079e

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Low hanging fruit.

Maybe, but the reason for this raid, focused on this one business, was because it is extremely public and now on every MSM outlet. A message is being sent loud and clear to big business operations such as in the construction, landscaping, road building industries etc, as well those workers and being communicated on Telemundo and Spanish speaking radio. I'm sure that this has not gone unnoticed. A warning shot across the bow so to speak.

officeguy

If I may ...

Maybe, but the reason for this raid, focused on this one business, was because it is extremely public and now on every MSM outlet. A message is being sent loud and clear to big business operations such as in the construction, landscaping, road building industries etc, as well those workers and being communicated on Telemundo and Spanish speaking radio. I'm sure that this has not gone unnoticed. A warning shot across the bow so to speak.

The people in charge of hiring at a 7-11 are the 'managers' who work under the supervision of the respective franchisee. The 'managers' are often cousins of nephews of the owner and it is understood that they just have to get the store staffed 24/7 come hell or high water. At the same time, an employer who disqualifies a person based on incorrect I9 related paperwork is subject to prosecution by the DOJ civil rights division. As a result, the 'managers' who are often in a very dependent situation relative to their family member/boss will gladly look the other way if someone is willing to work that ####ty job for ####ty pay but has iffy paperwork. There are multiple USCIS documents that establish authorization to work and they all look different and have different expiration dates. Based on the law, it has been a valid defense to say 'looks legit to me', there was no obligation to check further (in fact, checking further e.g. by claling USCIS opens the employer to liability).
So, this is a mess of our own making and again, the 7-11 clerks are probably the last group ICE should be chasing around. As long as there are tatted up MS13 gang-bangers walking around who will kill you and cut you to pieces just to impress their boss, wasting resources in clerks is bordering malfeasance.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So, this is a mess of our own making and again, the 7-11 clerks are probably the last group ICE should be chasing around. As long as there are tatted up MS13 gang-bangers walking around who will kill you and cut you to pieces just to impress their boss, wasting resources in clerks is bordering malfeasance.

I don't really disagree with that, but...I'm going to assume that ICE can walk and chew gum at the same time and not be forced to focus on only one aspect of illegal migrant activities. Been a fair amount of progress hunting down the MS-13 scum too. I just saw something in the last week or so, though, where El Salvador is refusing to allow back some of the vermin that we're trying to send home. Can't blame them for that...really.

steppinthrax

I don't agree with illegals being in the United States, I also don't agree with them entering here illegally. However, I don't think getting rid of them would make a whole world of difference. I have a suspicion, years to come, when all is said and done and over. Statistical data and research will show how much money was spent to get rid of illegals during the Trump administration and how little benefit it actually gave to the average American.

I understand there are a case of illegals here that broke the law and it makes national news attention, to a point to vastly disproportionate to domestic crime.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What do you think about the ICE raids on the 7/11 stores today?

Including some in DC and Maryland.

They have been hiring illegal workers for so many years.

I've said before that one of the main ways to curb illegal immigration is to take away their ability to work. One way to do that is to go after the employers who are breaking the law by giving them the ability to work.

steppinthrax

I think if you make it tough for them here, they will leave. The issue is it's not tough for them here. Employers "get around" illegally hiring them. If you punish employers severely for hiring illegals, then they will not try coming here, realizing no one will hire them.

If you can't derive income in the United States nor you can't collect any welfare, then you will get deported or leave on your own.

End of story......

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think if you make it tough for them here, they will leave. End of story......

Prince William County in Va and Fredrick County in MD - changed how police would interact with suspected illegal immigrants

they self deported from those counties in large numbers