Rand Paul: "We don't have money" for border wall

Chris0nllyn

"I remain a fiscal conservative, even on the wall, so I’m not excited about spending $20, $30, $40 billion on a wall. I’m still a believer that we don’t have money to spend. We’re $700 billion in the hole,” Paul said on CNN.

“And while I will vote for money for barriers, I’m not voting for $40 billion for barriers,” Paul added.

A report last week detailed Trump’s plan to ask Congress for $18 billion to fund a wall along the border. A wall was among his signature campaign promises.
The Trump administration is seeking $33 billion in total to increase southern border security, with the remaining $15 billion going to fund technology, personnel and other improvements.

Another $8.5 billion over seven years would be used to pay for 5,000 new Border Patrol agents

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...nt-have-money-to-spend-for-trumps-border-wall

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not surprised at that; Paul is consistent with respect to fiscal matters. He never wants to see money spent on anything.

I'm guessing that some significant chunk of money for increased border security will come out the current negotiations. And it probably won't be near as much as Trump wants.

I just wish they'd fund the dadgum government and get it over with. We've got a major contract all hung up thanks to the lack of budget authority.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Clearly Rand Paul gets his brains from his Daddy.

Of all the things we could do to cut spending, he wants to cut protection from mass foreign invasion. Brilliant, Rand. Simply brilliant.

This_person

Of all the things we could do to cut spending, he wants to cut protection from mass foreign invasion. Brilliant, Rand. Simply brilliant.

I have to agree with you. Border protection is specifically called out as a function of the federal government, DEA/HUD/DoEd/etc. are not. Let's vote NO on those, not this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd be fine with a crowdfunding campaign to help pay for the wall.

National security is one of the few things government is responsible for. I say we pay for the wall and they can hold a bake sale for their immigrant health care, arts endowments, and foreign aid.

Chris0nllyn

Where does it mention cutting spending? It doesn't, nor did he say that. He said this govt. spends too much and to earmark tens of billions of dollars for a wall while the govt. has shown no ability to effectively manage itself or our tax dollars is not a good idea.

...Border protection is specifically called out as a function of the federal government...

Where? Unless you're going to point to Article IV, Section 4 that discusses an "invasion".

Right now our "border" is a 100 mile-wide swath along the physical border.

National security is one of the few things government is responsible for. I say we pay for the wall and they can hold a bake sale for their immigrant health care, arts endowments, and foreign aid.

Don't conflate immigration with national security. Are there bad people that come here, absolutely, but I'm not aware of any evidence based on statistical data that points to the idea that building a wall will reduce deaths of Americans at the hands of others. Especially considering this wall is only on our southern border and will do nothing to stop people coming from Canada or overstaying visas.

This is, of course, knowing that CBP falls under DHS.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't conflate immigration with national security.

Illegal immigration, there, Lefty. And securing our borders against ILLEGAL entry is indeed a matter of national security.

I thought you were above playing ignorant word games to try and build your strawman. I know I am above being on the receiving end of it, so I'll thank you not to insult my intelligence with that tactic.

Chris0nllyn

Illegal immigration, there, Lefty. And securing our borders against ILLEGAL entry is indeed a matter of national security.

I thought you were above playing ignorant word games to try and build your strawman. I know I am above being on the receiving end of it, so I'll thank you not to insult my intelligence with that tactic.

Words matter, that's why. I don't have some magic ball where I understand what's rattling around your head, so my apologies for tyrying to clarify your point.

And again, if national security is the problem, why spend tens of billions on just a southern border wall and nothing to focus on the northern border or others that stay here illegally?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And again, if national security is the problem, why spend tens of billions on just a southern border wall and nothing to focus on the northern border or others that stay here illegally?

Because our northern border doesn't seem to have the problems our southern border does.

It's painful that I have to point these things out to you.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

how many 10's of thousands are walking across the northern border each month ?

at one time the estimate Mexican Invasion was pegged at about 50,000 a MONTH

This_person

Where? Unless you're going to point to Article IV, Section 4 that discusses an "invasion".

Right now our "border" is a 100 mile-wide swath along the physical border.

I would say in a combined fashion between Article One, Section 8, "uniform rule of naturalization" clause (because you can control who it is, you can control who comes here to get that), and Article IV Section 3: "The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States..." which, in my view implies a border because Canada, for example, does not "belong to the United States", but the State of MN does, so to speak.

Chris0nllyn

Because our northern border doesn't seem to have the problems our southern border does.

It's painful that I have to point these things out to you.

What national security concerns have we had from our southern border?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that border security measures aren't necessary, I'm also not disagreeing with the original idea that Rand mentioned in that we will go broke building this wall. I will bet money on the fact that it won't come in on or under budget, nor will it be done on time. Coupled with a reduction in tax revenue (lower taxes are a good thing. I feel I should point that out) but no reduction in govt. spending is a receipe for disaster.

how many 10's of thousands are walking across the northern border each month ?

at one time the estimate Mexican Invasion was pegged at about 50,000 a MONTH

Isn't net migration between Mexico and the US is negative? As in, more are headed back than coming here?

Also, what national security concerns have popped up to warrant this massive expenditure under the guise of said national security?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Isn't net migration between Mexico and the US is negative? As in, more are headed back than coming here?

Also, what national security concerns have popped up to warrant this massive expenditure under the guise of said national security?

I read after Trump was elected the numbers dropped off ... but are again back on the Rise ...

spending millions on social programs to feed, house, and clothe these illegal immigrants

other concerns Islamists have been caught mixed in with the Mexicans

Chris0nllyn

I read after Trump was elected the numbers dropped off ... but are again back on the Rise ...

spending millions on social programs to feed, house, and clothe these illegal immigrants

other concerns Islamists have been caught mixed in with the Mexicans

I'm not sure any updated numbers exist. I'm basing my statement on a recent report from last year.

We spend millions on a ton of things. I'd be open to the idea of changing the way we take care of illegals if those in power were equally willing to reduce spending in other areas.

That's a valid concern and one I figured would be mentioned. I believe our intelligence community has more than enough tools to fight that concern without building a wall. Besides, what happens the first time a terrorist comes from Canada? Spend another few billion for a wall there?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
We spend millions on a ton of things. I'd be open to the idea of changing the way we take care of illegals if those in power were equally willing to reduce spending in other areas.

if you don't have a valid US ID or a passport with a valid entry stamp you do not get so much as a aspirin from any medial service business unless you are paying cash for it

you get run over too bad, your kid gets run over, too bad you should have stayed in your home country.
no food, no housing, no medical

we catch you, you are tattooed, microchip-ed, finger printed and photographed and on the next plane out to your country of origin
we catch you again, you get buried in the Az dessert