AHA Sanctioned Home Brew Competition in Southern Md.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
OWINGS - Scorpion Brewing Co. is excited to invite the public to enter in an AHA (American Homebrewers Association) sanctioned Home Brew Competition. Home-brewed beer will be accepted from January 11, 2018-March 31, 2018 and live judging of "Best in Show" will take place on Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 2:30pm at the Scorpion Brewing Co. Tap Room, located at 929 Skinners Turn Road in Owings. Best in Show judging event on April 7 is free and open to the public.

For more information about the 2017 Scorpion Brewing Co. Home Brew Competition including how to enter home-brewed beer or volunteer as a judge or steward (assistant to judges) positions:

http://scorpion.brewcompetition.com/

Scorpion Brewing Co. is a Microbrewery located in the heart of beautiful Calvert County in Southern Maryland. We pride ourselves on producing beer made with local ingredients and embrace the flexibility, adaptability and experimentation a small microbrewery allows, releasing a Small Batch Limited Edition beer every week. We brew on premises and our emphasis is on quality, flavor and brewing technique.

Attachments

• beer-brew.jpg
    beer-brew.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 359

glhs837

Power with Control
Two bottles, eh? Might just toss in the extract kit I just put in the fermenter on the 1st. Should be just ready then. Would be a hoot if lil' ol' inexperienced me was able to place with an off the shelf extract kit.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Two bottles, eh? Might just toss in the extract kit I just put in the fermenter on the 1st. Should be just ready then. Would be a hoot if lil' ol' inexperienced me was able to place with an off the shelf extract kit.

I started with malt syrup from the A&P back in the summer of 74, was trying to recreate PBR for my dad.

I got better over time. :cheers:

glhs837

Power with Control
I started with malt syrup from the A&P back in the summer of 74, was trying to recreate PBR for my dad.

I got better over time. :cheers:

Think that's the level of brewing my Dad did in the 60s. Wonder he might say about my relatively mild setup, think he would be jealous of the Bayou burner that will boil 5 gallons really fast. Pretty sure he never saw a hygrometer, and he would be amazed by the fermentation chamber. Not so uch the build, but the fact that I could mail order a thermocouple based high low temp temp controller that keeps it within .5 degrees of the set temp for $20. the quality if the ingredients available in the kits would shock him to, I think.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Think that's the level of brewing my Dad did in the 60s. Wonder he might say about my relatively mild setup, think he would be jealous of the Bayou burner that will boil 5 gallons really fast. Pretty sure he never saw a hygrometer, and he would be amazed by the fermentation chamber. Not so uch the build, but the fact that I could mail order a thermocouple based high low temp temp controller that keeps it within .5 degrees of the set temp for $20. the quality if the ingredients available in the kits would shock him to, I think.

After all these years, I'm still an extract brewer (though I use spray malt instead of liquid). Like cane sugar, it doesn't go bad (liquid can oxidize after awhile in the package). I'll use specialty grains, steeping them after flame out, and hop pellets. Just let the ale set a little longer in a secondary after racking off the fermentation trub to clear.

I taught my wife back in 83 once we had a house and I could set up.

I like making Brown Ale and Porter, she likes English IPA and Best Bitters.

But the last several batches I've made have been meads of different sorts.

glhs837

Power with Control
After all these years, I'm still an extract brewer (though I use spray malt instead of liquid). Like cane sugar, it doesn't go bad (liquid can oxidize after awhile in the package). I'll use specialty grains, steeping them after flame out, and hop pellets. Just let the ale set a little longer in a secondary after racking off the fermentation trub to clear.

I taught my wife back in 83 once we had a house and I could set up.

I like making Brown Ale and Porter, she likes English IPA and Best Bitters.

But the last several batches I've made have been meads of different sorts.

First kit I got after my five bathes in the Mr Beer convinced me that I enjoyed it was a full grain kit. Wife bought the wrong one :) Rather than send it back, I said screw it and built a mash tun from scratch using an old cooler and some CPVC. Worked well, beer turned out pretty good, but I put that away. Figure I'll stick with extracts for a while then go back to grain at some point in the future. This one is a Hefeweizen, told the kids they each get to pick the next two styles we make.