Democracy dies in the darkness

transporter

Since the turn of this century, according to the Stanford scholar Larry Diamond, no fewer than 25 countries have ceased to be democratic. In almost all cases this happened by stealth within an existing system that retained outwardly democratic trappings. Think of Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Turkey or Viktor Orban’s Hungary. Gone are the days of military coups. During the cold war, coups d’état accounted for three-quarters of democratic breakdowns. Today they barely feature. “The tragic paradox of the electoral route to authoritarianism is that democracy’s assassins use the very institutions of democracy — gradually, subtly, and even legally — to kill it,” they write.

They set out four tests for whether a democracy is in danger. Trump fulfils them all. The first is when an elected leader rejects the democratic rules of the game. Trump more than meets this test. Campaigning against Hillary Clinton in 2016, he threatened to “lock her up” and said the poll would be “rigged”. Since then he has alleged electoral fraud and repeatedly vowed to use the vast law enforcement powers at his disposal to investigate the defeated Democratic candidate. The second test is whether the leader rejects the legitimacy of his opponents. Ditto. The third is whether he tolerates or encourages violence. During the campaign he encouraged supporters to beat up protesters and even defray their legal costs. Since becoming president, he has goaded law enforcement officers to beat up immigrants and other arrestees. The final one is whether the leader is willing to curtail civil liberties of opponents, including the media. Trump almost daily accuses the media of bias and threatens them with libel action. It took Trump’s lawyers less than 48 hours to issue a “cease and desist” threat to Wolff’s publishers

https://www.ft.com/content/a2553db2-f6bf-11e7-88f7-5465a6ce1a00

littlelady

God bless the USA
One more thing. The leapfrog left progs remind me of the game, Twister, that came out in my youth. The current contortions are hilarious. There should be a new game named hypotwister. :killingme:

littlelady

God bless the USA
And, I am, also, adding that some people don’t get that Obama/Hillary were leading US into darkness. Don’t y’all get that? Once Obama was elected, he never spoke of his white side again. True Americans stopped the NWO/Bilderberg agenda in its/their tracks by electing Trump. They are all :jameo: now. WE are taking our Country back. Period.

Trump might be rough around the edges, but that is a characteristic of patriotism. Tell it how it is y’all, and don’t hide.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What are we looking at? I clicked the link and it took me to a subscription page for Financial Times.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What are we looking at? I clicked the link and it took me to a subscription page for Financial Times.

This

demcry.jpg

Hijinx

In the first place we are not a Democracy--------------we are a Republic.

If we were a Democracy,
people who want to remove crosses
people who want to remove prayer
people who want to call men with their balls cut off "her"

Would be told to go #### themselves.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Campaigning against Hillary Clinton in 2016, he threatened to “lock her up” and said the poll would be “rigged”. Since then he has alleged electoral fraud and repeatedly vowed to use the vast law enforcement powers at his disposal to investigate the defeated Democratic candidate. - Hillary is deserving of lockup and the DNC did RIG the Outcome

The second test is whether the leader rejects the legitimacy of his opponents. Ditto. - the left has been trying to over through Trump since Nov 2016

The third is whether he tolerates or encourages violence. During the campaign he encouraged supporters to beat up protesters and even defray their legal costs. Since becoming president, he has goaded law enforcement officers to beat up immigrants and other arrestees. - Proof Sugar Tits

The final one is whether the leader is willing to curtail civil liberties of opponents, including the media. Trump almost daily accuses the media of bias - the Media is BIASED :dork:

...... and threatens them with libel action. - Proof Trump ALMOST DAILY threatens the Press with Lawsuits :shrug:

:coffee: