I Didn’t Vote for Donald Trump. Now I Wish I Had

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have a basic set of standards that a candidate has to meet in order to earn my vote. When Donald Trump was the Republican nominee in 2016, he did not meet my set of standards. As a result, I found myself unable to vote for him on election day.

He was unprincipled, willing to compromise on issues that should never be comprised upon. He seemed to change his stances on important issues as frequently as many of us change our favorite television program. What’s more, he was morally unfit for the presidency, in my view. This was a man who bragged about extra-marital affairs, made numerous sexist remarks toward women, told his supporters to “knock the crap out of” protesters, mocked a handicapped reporter, and bragged about being able to grope women because he was “a star.”

Despite Mr. Trump’s shortcomings, I found Hillary Clinton to be even more detestable. Her across-the-board support for what I found to be evil, progressive policies, including partial-birth abortion, combined with what she “allegedly” did to silence her husband’s rape victims was despicable, to say the least. So if Hillary Clinton was worse than Donald Trump, why did I not vote for the latter?

I did not vote for Mr. Trump because I thought he would be the end of conservatism within the Republican Party. His presidency would not only cost Republicans the moral high-ground, but it would also mean the conservative faction of the Republican Party had lost. Mr. Trump’s European-style, right-wing populism would then dominate the party. Supporters of Donald Trump had abandoned conservative principles to support a man who was entirely unprincipled. Donald Trump did not believe in limited government; he merely wanted to be a voice for the American people.

I Didn’t Vote for Donald Trump. Now I Wish I Had