Dems Put Tax Relief Atop Maryland Legislative Priorities

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Dems Put Tax Relief Atop Maryland Legislative Priorities

Date: 01-16-2018 06:49 PM

Summary: State lawmakers, in addition to the majority leaders, spoke of decoupling from new federal estate tax rates; restoring personal exemptions; and of deductions for charitable contributions.

Click here for the full story...

officeguy

For decades they kept piling new taxes upon new taxes and now they are suddenly the champions of tax relief. Hypocrites.

transporter

For decades they kept piling new taxes upon new taxes and now they are suddenly the champions of tax relief. Hypocrites.

And for the past 8 years Rs have had their collective panties in a bunch over the deficit...until they realized they could grant themselves a big fat tax cut...then their deficit concerns went right out the window.

stgislander

PREMO Member
And for the past 8 years Rs have had their collective panties in a bunch over the deficit...until they realized they could grant themselves a big fat tax cut...then their deficit concerns went right out the window.

Pssst... we're talking about the State Legislature. R's haven't had any power there since what... Reconstruction?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll believe it when I see it. I've never even heard of a Democrat being in favor of lower taxes.

Hijinx

I'll believe it when I see it. I've never even heard of a Democrat being in favor of lower taxes.

Hogan is proposing the break and trying to get the Dems to come on board.
I really do not understand it fully, but it seems that the federal tax break will give Marylanders more money an Hogan is trying to stop them from having to pay taxes on it.
It seems to me that the State could take a small cut of it and come out ahead for a while, but I am not sure of the figures, and I doubt Hogan is either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's not going to happen. The MD legislature is overwhelmingly Democrat and they're the ones who make those decisions, not Hogan.

nutz

I really do not understand it fully, but it seems that the federal tax break will give Marylanders more money an Hogan is trying to stop them from having to pay taxes on it.
It seems to me that the State could take a small cut of it and come out ahead for a while, but I am not sure of the figures, and I doubt Hogan is either.

Isn't that the real problem? They (fed, state, local) all take a cut. Then they spend every dime and need more so they take a bigger cut. Then they spend more and the cycle continues.
Until spending is curtailed, even if it means a cut in services, the cycle will never stop.