How Does Congress FORCE Someone to Testify

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Lawmakers vow to force answers from Bannon in Russia probe after he defies subpoena

"We’re going to get answers from Mr. Bannon," said Rep. Mike Conaway of Texas, the top Republican on the committee's probe of Russian interference in the presidential election.

Tensions flared early in the proceedings after Bannon informed the committee that he was refusing to answer any questions about his time in the White House or on the post-election transition, infuriating Democrats and Republicans on the panel, who subpoenaed him on the spot, according to a source familiar with the interview.

According to Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), after the subpoena, Bannon's attorney contacted the White House, which he said "doubled down" on its demand that he refuse to answer the committee's questions.

I thought this Country had LAWS against the sort of behavior .....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bannon clearly lied his ass off for that book. Now that he's under oath, he doesn't want to repeat his claims.

Starman

Congress can't, but a grand jury can.

My guess is that it's not the White House who told him not to talk as is the rumor, but rather Mueller with whom Bannon is likely already cooperating.

This_person

I thought this Country had LAWS against the sort of behavior .....

They can subpoena, he can say, "on the advice of counsel...", they can find him in contempt....You know, like Eric Holder is still in contempt of Congress for perjury. See how that has negatively impacted Attorney General Holder's life?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

My guess is that it's not the White House who told him not to talk as is the rumor, but rather Mueller with whom Bannon is likely already cooperating.

Keep dreaming.

I do love how all of a sudden Steve Bannon is the lefty hero and savior of the universe. :roflmao:

This_person

A grand jury can't, either.

Why would you think Bannon is likely already cooperating with the Mueller "investigation"?

Hijinx

They can subpoena, he can say, "on the advice of counsel...", they can find him in contempt....You know, like Eric Holder is still in contempt of Congress for perjury. See how that has negatively impacted Attorney General Holder's life?

You are right of course, but unlike Holder they may have the courage to press Bannon.

Starman

A grand jury can't, either.

True, in the sense that government cannot physically force you to talk. However, the tools that Congress has doesn't have the teeth that a grand jury has if you don't answer questions.

Why would you think Bannon is likely already cooperating with the Mueller "investigation"?

As I said, it is a guess.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

What he and his fellow psychoprogs are hoping is that their new savior will implicate Trump in some spy scheme and prove once and for all that Daddy is a Russian operative sent from Hell to kill us all.

The truth is that Bannon got drunk and ran his mouth to the book guy, and now either has to make those same claims under oath or admit that he got drunk and ran his mouth. Naturally he doesn't want to do either, so he's trying to refuse to testify.

Think about it: if all that stuff Bannon supposedly said is true, why wouldn't he want to testify to that? He'll tell a book guy but won't tell Congress?

I also think he's enjoying the attention, however negative it may be. It's fun watching the progs chase their own tail, though, don't you think?

Midnightrider

Keep dreaming.

I do love how all of a sudden Steve Bannon is the lefty hero and savior of the universe. :roflmao:
I doubt he will be a hero to the left, but he could be a major source of info for mueller.
What he and his fellow psychoprogs are hoping is that their new savior will implicate Trump in some spy scheme and prove once and for all that Daddy is a Russian operative sent from Hell to kill us all.

The truth is that Bannon got drunk and ran his mouth to the book guy, and now either has to make those same claims under oath or admit that he got drunk and ran his mouth. Naturally he doesn't want to do either, so he's trying to refuse to testify.

Think about it: if all that stuff Bannon supposedly said is true, why wouldn't he want to testify to that? He'll tell a book guy but won't tell Congress?

I also think he's enjoying the attention, however negative it may be. It's fun watching the progs chase their own tail, though, don't you think?
Alot of time when people get drunk and spout off it’s truth that sneaks out, or there is some element of truth it. Even if it’s completely false Bannon making those statements shows he is willing to sell out his boss......

BTW, it’s being reported this morning that Bannon will cooperate with the GJ. We will have to see what that means

Midnightrider

Too late - he already is. The exact same people who a month ago couldn't even say his name without spitting are now extolling his virtues as a "whistle blower".

As in, the exact same people.
I guess I don’t watch the pundits you do because I’m not seeing anyone calling him a hero. As far as I know ‘they’ still consider him a POS, it’s just that he happened to run his mouth to that author :shrug:

transporter

Why do the basic tenants of our legal system seem so far beyond your comprehension?

Why wouldn't Bannon run to Congress or Mueller or anyone and testify?

1. He will be under oath.

2. He will be asked questions that he can't control.

3. By answering he may implicate himself. (If his money laundering comments are true, he may already have a problem.)

BTW...it isn't "prog" tails that are being chased...it isn't the type of tails our President was grabbing either...

Hijinx

Why do the basic tenants of our legal system seem so far beyond your comprehension?

Why wouldn't Bannon run to Congress or Mueller or anyone and testify?

1. He will be under oath.

2. He will be asked questions that he can't control.

3. By answering he may implicate himself. (If his money laundering comments are true, he may already have a problem.)

BTW...it isn't "prog" tails that are being chased...it isn't the type of tails our President was grabbing either...

When did our legal system start taking in tenants?

This_person

True, in the sense that government cannot physically force you to talk. However, the tools that Congress has doesn't have the teeth that a grand jury has if you don't answer questions.

As I said, it is a guess.

What teeth? When are you not allowed to offer the Fifth?

Sapidus

Too late - he already is. The exact same people who a month ago couldn't even say his name without spitting are now extolling his virtues as a "whistle blower".

As in, the exact same people.

Wrong. as usual you don't understand that when someone tells the truth they are not exalted for doing the right thing. Just as when they lie they aren't hated.

It's not a matter of emotion but principle.