Calvert Co Schools Closed

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Thread needs to be updated.

Revised: After re-evaluating conditions, CCPS is now closed on Wednesday, January 17 2018. 12 mo. staff report on time (Code Green).

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Trying to figure this one out. I was out and about at 7 until a little bit ago and the roads were clear and wet. That was from Prince Frederick north. I don't know what the south end was like.

Keep in mind that Calvert County Public Schools is one of the ones whining about Governor Hogan's directive on school year dates. They may be trying to make a case that it needs to be one of the ones, along with Garrett and Allegeny granted waivers from it.

Chris0nllyn

Trying to figure this one out. I was out and about at 7 until a little bit ago and the roads were clear and wet. That was from Prince Frederick north. I don't know what the south end was like.

Keep in mind that Calvert County Public Schools is one of the ones whining about Governor Hogan's directive on school year dates. They may be trying to make a case that it needs to be one of the ones, along with Garrett and Allegeny granted waivers from it.

Same here.

It amazes me that every year, the closing of schools due to snow threshold gets smaller and smaller.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was surprised that Charles didn't close. Several reports of ice and uncleared side roads.

nobody really

I need a nap

well, I don't know what is going on with the town of north beach, but you can definitely tell where the town line is. The roads are pathetic. So, yes, I can see why they would close calvert. Blame the town of north beach.

nobody really

I need a nap
Same here.

It amazes me that every year, the closing of schools due to snow threshold gets smaller and smaller.

last snow "storm" we had that dumped a massive amount of snow (3 inches at best) -- in the North Beach town limits, the roads sucked. if I lived in north beach (I actually live outside the town limits), I'd be PISSED.

Chris0nllyn

last snow "storm" we had that dumped a massive amount of snow (3 inches at best) -- in the North Beach town limits, the roads sucked. if I lived in north beach (I actually live outside the town limits), I'd be PISSED.

This wasn't the last storm though. BARELY an inch fell in this area and the roads were clear.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

And our roads were still cleared before the contractors for the County got to yours. You may be thinking of a few days/week earlier when we got the same amount as today and the decision was made not to treat the streets. That changed when a phone call was made.

Also remember, salt doesn't work when it's 15 degrees. Doesn't matter how much is thrown out.

nobody really

I need a nap
And our roads were still cleared before the contractors for the County got to yours. You may be thinking of a few days/week earlier when we got the same amount as today and the decision was made not to treat the streets. That changed when a phone call was made.

Also remember, salt doesn't work when it's 15 degrees. Doesn't matter how much is thrown out.

I'm specifically talking about North Beach town limits. Not talking about how much salt is thrown out...not sure what phone call was made, but ALL DAY the roads from Eerie all the way to bay avenue were untreated, not plowed, whatever you call it, during the snow a few weeks ago. It starts right where the "welcome to North Beach!" sign is.
It is very apparent (to this resident), that something is not being done in North Beach when it comes to treating the roads. Then, when you get to Bay Avenue, *** poof **** all clear and treated (or WHATEVER you call it). its like that on all those little side roads in the beach.

I don't really give a #### if they salt the roads, pee on the roads, mow the roads, plow the roads. WHATEVER THE EFF THE REST OF THE COUNTY DOES, NORTH BEACH IS OMITTED. just my point.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
I'm specifically talking about North Beach town limits. Not talking about how much salt is thrown out...not sure what phone call was made, but ALL DAY the roads from Eerie all the way to bay avenue were untreated, not plowed, whatever you call it, during the snow a few weeks ago. It starts right where the "welcome to North Beach!" sign is.
It is very apparent (to this resident), that something is not being done in North Beach when it comes to treating the roads. Then, when you get to Bay Avenue, *** poof **** all clear and treated (or WHATEVER you call it). its like that on all those little side roads in the beach.

I don't really give a #### if they salt the roads, pee on the roads, mow the roads, plow the roads. WHATEVER THE EFF THE REST OF THE COUNTY DOES, NORTH BEACH IS OMITTED. just my point.

I think you need a nap... :coffee:

Chris0nllyn

I live off a road that connects to the Beaches. When it was extremely cold and we got that snow, I drove to work and my road, connecting roads, Rt.4, and all the way to LaPlata were not plowed/treated. I'm not convinced it's a problem specific to North Beach.

nobody really

I need a nap
I live off a road that connects to the Beaches. When it was extremely cold and we got that snow, I drove to work and my road, connecting roads, Rt.4, and all the way to LaPlata were not plowed/treated. I'm not convinced it's a problem specific to North Beach.

oh, ok. I just always thought it was odd, right at the town line.

taking my nap now.

steppinthrax

I'm just curious what are the implications if they keep schools open during a winter storm (real one). What's the issue? I understand that in a severe storm you simply won't have staff coming in to support your organization. But, in situations like this you can still get to school but delayed. So now, if someone falls down and gets hurt, that person can't sue the state/school system.

So what's the point of even closing schools in non-snow storm type of snow?