3 Yr Old Killed by New Family Pet

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think the Rescue Groups have some culpability in this. These people want to rescue every single creature out there. They can't save the world.

And, when I came in the house, my mom was laying on the dog and she was just all bloody. I mean she was trying her best to get the dog off my daughter. My daughter was just there laying on the bed, just limp,” Dodge told KFOR. “My mom was right there when it happened. There is literally blood all through the house.

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesm...amily-s-new-dog-xVs2CcXJx0-SFPcOLmjUtQ?full=1

black dog

Free America
You couldn't pay me to take any rescue dog, much less a bully breed rescue...
" The dog was a mix of pit bull and bulldog, People reported."
Who would have though a bully breed would maul and kill a person?

luvmygdaughters

I think the Rescue Groups have some culpability in this. These people want to rescue every single creature out there. They can't save the world.

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesm...amily-s-new-dog-xVs2CcXJx0-SFPcOLmjUtQ?full=1

I agree, how much of background check goes on before deciding to place a rescue dog? I love dogs and think for the most part, they are great animals, but, if they've been raised in an abusive environment, there's no telling how they will react at any given time to any person. Heartbreaking for that family.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They're a wild card. You can have a pitbull that never gives you any problem, or you can have one that just snaps one day and kills your child. I don't understand the attraction to these dogs, especially when they're rescues and you don't know their history.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
They're a wild card. You can have a pitbull that never gives you any problem, or you can have one that just snaps one day and kills your child. I don't understand the attraction to these dogs, especially when they're rescues and you don't know their history.

Yep, and that's usually exactly how it happens. How many times have you heard someone say, "Oh, I knew my pit was mean and he was gonna' chew somebody's face off one day".

glhs837

Power with Control
Nah, Killer Corgis...... they get you in the Achilles tendon, and once you're down, it's all over......

Hijinx

The mother is lucky she wasn't killed too.

I don't like to see large dogs around children, any dog. But if I were to get a dog for my child it would be a puppy so they could grow together.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I don't like to see large dogs around children, any dog. But if I were to get a dog for my child it would be a puppy so they could grow together.

Some large dog breeds are very gentle and good natured - Labs, Retrievers, Newfies, etc. Other breeds are known for their aggressive behavior - that's what they were bred for. So why anyone would allow that sort of dog around their child is beyond me. Even smaller dogs that are high strung breeds don't belong around children, but large aggressive dogs definitely don't. When you try to put your Pit or Rottie or Chow around a child you're just asking for trouble.

Dumb people think dogs are dogs, but that is not true. Breeds vary greatly in innate temperament.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

My GSD was AWESOME with my daughter. She was 4 when the baby came along and protected her and myself to the hilt.

seven

Some large dog breeds are very gentle and good natured - Labs, Retrievers, Newfies, etc. Other breeds are known for their aggressive behavior - that's what they were bred for. So why anyone would allow that sort of dog around their child is beyond me. Even smaller dogs that are high strung breeds don't belong around children, but large aggressive dogs definitely don't. When you try to put your Pit or Rottie or Chow around a child you're just asking for trouble.

Dumb people think dogs are dogs, but that is not true. Breeds vary greatly in innate temperament.

Neighbor got a Pit and they have a small child. Everyone warned them. Less than a week after getting it they took it back because it made an aggressive action towards the kid, Can't fix stoopit.

frequentflier

happy to be living

No responsible parent would leave a young child alone with a dog; regardless of size. No matter how well you think you know your dog (or especially in a case that it is new to the household): not all dogs are going to tolerate children- whether it be climbing on them, pulling tail or ears or just their fast movements or screeching.
Not for one or two minutes. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No responsible parent would leave a young child alone with a dog; regardless of size. No matter how well you think you know your dog (or especially in a case that it is new to the household): not all dogs are going to tolerate children- whether it be climbing on them, pulling tail or ears or just their fast movements or screeching.

This. There should me a mandatory "black box" warning issued with every sale and every adoption, of any dog, but most definitely with known aggressive breeds, signed by purchaser as their having receipt and understanding of such warning. Hey, the legislature is in session ... just saying.

Clem72

While I would never trust a Pit type alone with a child, many bully breeds were developed to be family pets and are very good with children. The original English Bulldog was popularized as a "nanny" dog.

PsyOps

Pixelated

She wasn't left alone. The grandmother was there.

The only way to get a dog like this off someone is to kill it. Get a knife, bat, whatever and start hitting the dog until it's dead. Even if the dog lets go, you should kill it. It will attack again.