Whose been lying to you??

transporter

I am sure you all will dismiss this as more FAKE NEWS from the MSM and DEEP STATE!! I am also quite certain this isn't reported on Fox or in the pages of illustrious paragons of journalistic integrity like the dalycaller redstate or Breitbart...

Trump made reviving the coal industry, and the declining communities that depend upon its jobs, a central tenet in his presidential campaign and has rolled back Obama-era environmental regulations to give the industry a boost.

But the effort has had little impact on domestic demand for coal so far, with U.S. utilities still shutting coal-fired power plants and shifting to cheaper natural gas

Unreleased full-year coal employment data from the Mining Health and Safety Administration shows total U.S. coal mining jobs grew by 771 to 54,819 during Trump’s first year in office, led by Central Appalachian states like West Virginia, Virginia, and Pennsylvania - where coal companies have opened a handful of new mining areas for shipment overseas.

“You know, West Virginia is doing fantastically well,” Trump told Reuters in an interview this week about the state, which gained 1,345 coal jobs last year, according to the data. “It’s great coal.”

But the industry also lost jobs in other Appalachian states like Ohio, Kentucky, and Maryland; the western Powder River Basin states Montana and Wyoming; as well as in several other states like Indiana, New Mexico, and Texas.

Wow...771 new jobs....in a whole year!! And the ignorati run around proclaiming all the "wining" going on in the coal sector?

Pennsylvania, which gained 96 jobs in 2017, is also expected to go negative soon after Dana Mining announced this month it would close a mine employing about 400 people.

Overall, the number of U.S. coal jobs is still lingering near historic lows at less than one-third the level in the mid-1980s, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data, as the industry loses market share to cheaper natural gas.

Coal is losing to and can't compete with cheaper natural gas...gee...where have we heard that before???? Not from our incompetent President...that's for sure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...sh-stumbles-in-most-states-data-idUSKBN1F81AK

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“You know, West Virginia is doing fantastically well,” Trump told Reuters in an interview this week about the state, which gained 1,345 coal jobs last year, according to the data. “It’s great coal.”

But the industry also lost jobs in other Appalachian states like Ohio, Kentucky, and Maryland; the western Powder River Basin states Montana and Wyoming; as well as in several other states like Indiana, New Mexico, and Texas.

so where exactly is the LIE ...

[does it hurt to be so miserable and unhappy]

SamSpade

It might be relevant to notice that in an industry that has been losing jobs for decades, an increase IS a win.

This_person

I'm amazed that the industry's decline could be not only slowed, but reversed, in just a year. That's pretty amazing.

Thank you for pointing out who has been lying to us, and it's not Trump. Thank you TranSap!

black dog

Free America
I am sure you all will dismiss this as more FAKE NEWS from the MSM and DEEP STATE!! I am also quite certain this isn't reported on Fox or in the pages of illustrious paragons of journalistic integrity like the dalycaller redstate or Breitbart...

Wow...771 new jobs....in a whole year!! And the ignorati run around proclaiming all the "wining" going on in the coal sector?

Coal is losing to and can't compete with cheaper natural gas...gee...where have we heard that before???? Not from our incompetent President...that's for sure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...sh-stumbles-in-most-states-data-idUSKBN1F81AK

Considering one mine averages 70 to 100 employees that's quite a few mines being opened and reopened in a year.
Let the price of natural gas go up and see how that affects in a rapid way the Sub-bituminous coal mines.

luvmygdaughters

I work for the coal industry. We produce a byproduct from the burnt coal, synthetic gypsum. Its used in the building industry, I certainly hope coal burning plants stay around for at least a few more years, than I can retire.