Mushroom gravy & beef

grandpa

Grandma and I have a recipe for some outstanding beef and gravy over rice.
Ingredients as follows:
Beef pot roast - 2- 2.5 lb
Large can mushroom soup
Small can mushroom soup
small can mushroom pieces
Bag of Lipton dried onion soup mix
1 Bag, Reynolds oven bag to 8 lb (small)
Mix all ingredients together in the bag . I set the oven to 250 degrees , put the bag in my dutch oven, slip it in the oven and look at again in 4.5 hours.
I think that the same time in a slow cooker would do about the same thing.
Anyway, the roast will be falling apart good. The gravy is devine. Spread it over some rice and have some green beans on the side.
I dare you to say it is not wonderful.:drool:

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Grandma and I have a recipe for some outstanding beef and gravy over rice.
Ingredients as follows:
Beef pot roast - 2- 2.5 lb
Large can mushroom soup
Small can mushroom soup
small can mushroom pieces
Bag of Lipton dried onion soup mix
1 Bag, Reynolds oven bag to 8 lb (small)
Mix all ingredients together in the bag . I set the oven to 250 degrees , put the bag in my dutch oven, slip it in the oven and look at again in 4.5 hours.
I think that the same time in a slow cooker would do about the same thing.
Anyway, the roast will be falling apart good. The gravy is devine. Spread it over some rice and have some green beans on the side.
I dare you to say it is not wonderful.:drool:

Nah, processed ingredients. Try browning your meat, then deglaze your pan with water, add to your roast along with FRESH chopped onions, carrots, mushrooms and some barley. Season to taste and Carry on with your cooking method. The barley adds fiber and makes the gravy.

grandpa

mushroom gravy and beef made by grandmom sounds awesome!

It is, but it's mine, not Grandmom's. I learned of it from an old AF SMSGT on Okinawa about 48 years ago, I changed it from the grill to the oven because I am LAZY.
Tonite we have my Prime rib. Yum-Yum.

GP

luvmygdaughters

Tonight, I'm doing hamburger steaks with onion and mushroom gravy over wide egg noodles with broccoli on the side. I agree, love a good chuck roast, in my opinion, they have the best beef flavor!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Tonight, I'm doing hamburger steaks with onion and mushroom gravy over wide egg noodles with broccoli on the side. I agree, love a good chuck roast, in my opinion, they have the best beef flavor!!

mmm Salisbury steak is a favorite at my house :yum: sometimes I like to get fancy and stuff my steaks with blue cheese first :dance:

kalmd

Chuck Roast

Any suggestions as to where to consistently get a good chuck roast? I do buy chuck because I thought they were the most tender for roasts, but it's really hit or miss. I want it to fall apart with a fork, not have to cut it with a knife.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
sometimes I like to get fancy and stuff my steaks with blue cheese first

Why stop after the bleu cheese?

pUAn0hk.jpg

[h=1]Move over turducken... A lamb stuffed inside a pig stuffed inside a cow.[/h]

luvmygdaughters

Any suggestions as to where to consistently get a good chuck roast? I do buy chuck because I thought they were the most tender for roasts, but it's really hit or miss. I want it to fall apart with a fork, not have to cut it with a knife.

We get our meats at McKays in Leonardtown. I always put my chuck in a crockpot on low. Comes out falling apart tender and not dry at all. Nicks of Clinton in PF or Waldorf has great meats too.

kalmd

We get our meats at McKays in Leonardtown. I always put my chuck in a crockpot on low. Comes out falling apart tender and not dry at all. Nicks of Clinton in PF or Waldorf has great meats too.

Thanks. I bought one from McKays recently and it was a little tough. I cooked it in the oven, in a cooking bag, rather than a crockpot, so maybe that was the problem. The few that I recall being fall apart fork tender were also from McKays. We buy steaks from Nicks but I'm not sure I've even bought a chuck roast from there. I'll keep an eye out on their sales flyer and try one when they go on sale.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chuck is so fatty you're going to have to work hard to ruin it. It's the lean cuts that are touchy and get destroyed.

luvmygdaughters

I knew my guy was the One when we realized our shared love (i.e. obsession) of a good, aged Roquefort :lol:

You are so Lucky (hence the name?) LOL. Its really his only flaw, well that and the fact that he likes ketchup on everything! He's tried it a couple of times, but just cant get used to the taste, me on the other hand... I could drink it!