Greetings from Naples/ Marco Island!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Man, I was never so glad to get somewhere in my life. The Keys are seriously overrated - ridiculously expensive, boring, highly rural, and only one of many beautiful places in the US, a number of which are in southern climes and way more reasonably priced.

To get from the Keys to Naples I drove Rt 41, which takes you through the Everglades and the Miccosukee Indian reservation. Alligators right on the side of the highway. It's a long stretch with pretty much nothing but nature, so if you need gas get it before you hop on. I was a victim of the government shutdown when I had to pee and all the visitor's centers were closed. Fortunately there was a group of women with the same problem, so we formed a wall and took turns peeing in the bushes.

Our campground is nice but a little tight. They still have some Irma damage but nothing major. The biggest issue is that their office and store, which includes their laundry facility, were wrecked and not yet operational. The good news is that there are several laundromats right up the street and they have more machines and folding room anyway. We also have NO fireants! HALLELUJAH! I was eaten alive in Marathon and have a nice scar on my ankle where one of those bestids got me bad.

While we're here I'd like to take an airboat ride in the Everglades. That just seems like one of those iconic things you have to do at least once in your lifetime.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As a young lad in the 70s I remember staying in a tiny one-story hotel on sparsely-populated Sanibel Island and hiking the wildlife refuge, Captiva Island, etc. I understand that area has really grown up but might still be worth a visit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's quite the logistics train for two, is that part of the secret to happiness?

Indeed it is. His truck is a glorified porta-bote toter; mine is the one we use for everyday transportation.

Plus the motorhome is limited in where it can maneuver, making spontaneous exploration of small towns impossible. So while poor Monello is tootling along at 10mph below the speed limit and staying on the interstate, I am rolling at 20mph+- over and stopping anywhere that catches my interest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Naples is really cool. Much larger than I thought it was, with a swanky downtown, big rich people homes, and easy access to the public beaches.

It is so nice to be near a Target and an Ulta again.

We haven't really explored much yet. Tuesday we went for a windshield tour and yesterday we went to the pool (don't hate). There are a zillion to-do items on my list - Tin City, Marco Island, Everglades, airboat tour, the Indian reservation...

nutz

Indeed it is. His truck is a glorified porta-bote toter; mine is the one we use for everyday transportation.

Plus the motorhome is limited in where it can maneuver, making spontaneous exploration of small towns impossible. So while poor Monello is tootling along at 10mph below the speed limit and staying on the interstate, I am rolling at 20mph+- over and stopping anywhere that catches my interest.

Your way does sound more fun. New places, new dives to eat and drink, exploring life and having fun...damn, I have a report to finish, you guys suck

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So while poor Monello is tootling along at 10mph below the speed limit and staying on the interstate, I am rolling at 20mph+- over and stopping anywhere that catches my interest.

separate cars like separate beds makes for a healthy relationship :jet:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Naples is really cool. Much larger than I thought it was, with a swanky downtown, big rich people homes, and easy access to the public beaches.

It is so nice to be near a Target and an Ulta again.

We haven't really explored much yet. Tuesday we went for a windshield tour and yesterday we went to the pool (don't hate). There are a zillion to-do items on my list - Tin City, Marco Island, Everglades, airboat tour, the Indian reservation...

Check out Estero River Outfitters south of Bonita Springs...

acommondisaster

When we were stationed in Homestead, FL, the Miami beaches were too treacherous (needles, condoms, dead Haitians washing up on the shore - yes it happened, etc), so on long weekends we'd head over to Naples. Definitely want to get gas/drinks/potty break done before heading onto Alligator Alley (rt 41). Not a fun place to break down at night, though I imagine 30+ years later there's a lot more traffic than when we were traveling it. Like was suggested, don't miss Sanibel and Captiva. Shell gathering can't be beat on the beaches there. Those are the only places in FL that I actually liked (other than Pensacola beach with the white whistling sand).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Definitely want to get gas/drinks/potty break done before heading onto Alligator Alley (rt 41).

As I was driving Alligator Alley I saw all these campgrounds and thought, "Oh how cool! We should come back and spend a few weeks in the Everglades!" Then I mentally punched my face and reminded myself that I don't like being in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but admire :shudder: nature. Monello could easily boondock in the woods and eat dried green beans and Cup O' Noodle for weeks; I could not.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
As I was driving Alligator Alley I saw all these campgrounds and thought, "Oh how cool! We should come back and spend a few weeks in the Everglades!" Then I mentally punched my face and reminded myself that I don't like being in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but admire :shudder: nature. Monello could easily boondock in the woods and eat dried green beans and Cup O' Noodle for weeks; I could not.

Sounds like another couple I sorta kinda know. :jet:

:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Marco Island was not what I expected. I thought it would be more naturey with just beaches and maybe a small tourist shopping area.

No.

It's a city with highrises and stuff. You would live and work there but not vacation there. Or you would vacation there, but there are better places in the area you could choose.

I'm liking Naples. It's pricey, so it doesn't go on the "when we're ready to settle down" list, but we'll have an enjoyable month here. It's Florida pretty, with nice palms and clear aquamarine water.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a really good farmer's market in downtown Naples on Saturdays with all sorts of produce, soaps, crafts, and ethnic food vendors. We had paella, an empanada, and a kronut for breakfast. My first kronut, btw, because I'm not a donut person, but it was pretty tasty.

littlelady

God bless the USA
There's a really good farmer's market in downtown Naples on Saturdays with all sorts of produce, soaps, crafts, and ethnic food vendors. We had paella, an empanada, and a kronut for breakfast. My first kronut, btw, because I'm not a donut person, but it was pretty tasty.

I never heard of a cronut, so I looked it up. Learn something every day! Thanks for telling us of y’all’s adventures on the road. Safe travels.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

The paella and empanada sounds yum! I'm not a donut person, either, so when I was in New Orleans and tried the beignets - I was like meh. Foxhound and I got 1 order between us and I might have had 2. I would probably feel the same with the Kronut. (I also don't care for the Fractured Prune Donuts. Don't get the craziness over them, either! :ohwell: )