Vermont legalizes recreational marijuana

Chris0nllyn

Vermont’s Republican governor signed legal marijuana into law Monday, in the country’s historic first legalization via a state legislature rather than by ballot initiative.

The bill, signed by Governor Phil Scott, legalizes recreational marijuana use for adults over 21. Specifically, it allows for the possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana, up to two mature plants and four immature plants. It does not legalize the sale of marijuana.

The state is the ninth—along with the District of Columbia—to legalize recreational marijuana use. California was the latest state to start recreational sales, which kicked off on January 1. Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/vermont-apos-republican-governor-just-211936740.html

stgislander

PREMO Member
So, not bothering to read the law, my guess would be that state and local law enforcement personnel would still be prohibited from partaking. Although... it is Vermont.

nutz

So, not bothering to read the law, my guess would be that state and local law enforcement personnel would still be prohibited from partaking. Although... it is Vermont.

All first responders are probably excluded. Who could bring the Narcan if all the drivers are stoned?

Chris0nllyn

Employers are still allowed to drug test employees and dole out punishment as they see fit.

Hijinx

Employers are still allowed to drug test employees and dole out punishment as they see fit.

Not reading the law myself Why would you legalize marijuana and not allow anyone to sell it?
If you are going to do something like this Let it all hang out. Manufacture , sale , distribution, the whole thing.

Chris0nllyn

Not reading the law myself Why would you legalize marijuana and not allow anyone to sell it?
If you are going to do something like this Let it all hang out. Manufacture , sale , distribution, the whole thing.

Because that's not the law that was voted and passed.

Vermont did it a bit differently, in that they were the first state to legalize it via state legislature and not a ballot measure where citizens vote on it. The particular bill they voted on was just legalizing personal use and growing. It allows the state to reduce arrests/prosecutions without a commercial side that some in the state believed would promote more use. It's half way between the 1970's "Drug War" model some states currently have and the "full legalization and commercialization" model other states have gone with (i.e. Colorado). The downside, for some, is that in states with full commercialization, the marijuana is tested for potency and things like pesticides before being sold. Those states are also raking in the tax dollars from marijuana sales. Vermont won't have to worry about either of those.

It also lessens the chance of federal prosecutors going after large-scale growers or retailers after Sessions' back step on state-level legal marijuana.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2018/H.511

Last edited:

Hijinx

Because that's not the law that was voted and passed.

Vermont did it a bit differently, in that they were the first state to legalize it via state legislature and not a ballot measure where citizens vote on it. The particular bill they voted on was just legalizing personal use and growing. It allows the state to reduce arrests/prosecutions without a commercial side that some in the state believed would promote more use. It's half way between the 1970's "Drug War" model some states currently have and the "full legalization and commercialization" model other states have gone with (i.e. Colorado). The downside, for some, is that in states with full commercialization, the marijuana is tested for potency and things like pesticides before being sold. Those states are also raking in the tax dollars from marijuana sales. Vermont won't have to worry about either of those.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2018/H.511

It's a chicken -sh1t move.
I am not arguing about the law, I am just saying either make it legal or outlaw it.
The people they now allow to grow their own had to get the seed somewhere
The people who are growing it will sell their surplus.

With this dumb assed approach there is still illegal drug activities going on.
So they are going around the fringes, denigrating the law.
It's a bit like legalizing shoplifting but not bank robbery

MiddleGround

Who cares?

If not for Bernie Sanders, maple syrup, and Super Troopers... would anyone even know Vermont exists??

Chris0nllyn

It's a chicken -sh1t move.
I am not arguing about the law, I am just saying either make it legal or outlaw it.
The people they now allow to grow their own had to get the seed somewhere
The people who are growing it will sell their surplus.

With this dumb assed approach there is still illegal drug activities going on.
So they are going around the fringes, denigrating the law.
It's a bit like legalizing shoplifting but not bank robbery

The feds should get off their ass and do something, but hell's more likely to freeze over.

It's sort of like legalizing milk, but making cows illegal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's hilarious about these hippie places is that they're good with smoking pot wherever and whenever, but go ahead and light up a cigarette and take note of the stinkeye.

Starman

What's hilarious about these hippie places is that they're good with smoking pot wherever and whenever, but go ahead and light up a cigarette and take note of the stinkeye.

There’s nothing about this law that allows smoking pot “wherever”.

Hijinx

The feds should get off their ass and do something, but hell's more likely to freeze over.

It's sort of like legalizing milk, but making cows illegal.

I agree. They should get off their asses and enforce federal laws against pot, and they should start in the states that have legalized it.

vince77

I agree. They should get off their asses and enforce federal laws against pot, and they should start in the states that have legalized it.

states that have legalized it will not assist the feds or share info with them, just like with immigration. Who's going to enforce it?

Hijinx

states that have legalized it will not assist the feds or share info with them, just like with immigration. Who's going to enforce it?

Who needs information in Colorado. They have a store open right on the street. Not hard to find, they even advertise.

Get a warrant, go there lock up everyone in the store.