Hogan panders to Amazon

Chris0nllyn

Promoting ext-Raordinary Innovation in Maryland’s Economy (“PRIME”) Act.

This program is intended for a Fortune 100 company that pays an average of $100,000 annually at a newly created headquarters facility in the State. Additionally, this company must commit to spending a minimum of $5 billion in capital expenditures over 17 years, including $500 million in initial project costs, and employ at least 40,000 people over the 17-year period.

This legislation provides the following benefits, for 10 years:
1) A credit against the state income tax – equivalent to 5.75% of wages to each new qualifying headquarters job.
a. For purposes of the company’s build out of jobs, each job will qualify for the 10-year tax credit beginning the year it is created.
b. To qualify for the tax credit, a qualified position must be hired no later than 17 years after the project is enrolled in the program.
c. Qualified positions are full time, new and pay at least $60,000 but not more than $500,000 annually.

2) A credit against the state and local property tax.
a. The State will reimburse the local jurisdiction half of what would have been collected if the property tax had not been granted.

3) An exemption from sales and use tax for construction material or warehousing equipment used in the project.

Administration of the Program:
1) The Company must submit a notice of intent to the Maryland Department of Commerce that they will seek designation as an eligible project.
2) Commerce will certify a business if it meets the requirements under this program.
3) From there, the business will submit to a Commerce an application with the following information:
a. Anticipated date of establishment and its location
b. Evidence that the project will function as a headquarters
c. Anticipated number of qualified employees and anticipated payroll
d. Evidence that it’s legally committed to expend $500 million in project costs
e. Any other information Commerce requires

4) The business is also required to submit a project plan to Commerce that commits to carry out the following activities over a 17-year period:
a. Hire at least 40,000 qualified positions
b. Compensate the qualified positions an amount that, on average, equals at least $100,000
5) Commerce is provided authority to claw back all or any portion of a tax credit that has already been claimed if: (1) any representation made by the applicant was false when made, or (2) if
the actual hiring and expenditures made for the project are significantly lower than the projections made in the project plan are, as determined by Commerce.
a. The bill also provides that if the number of qualified positions at the facility ever declines below the number of qualified positions for which the company received a benefit in the first benefit year, the company’s enrollment in the program ceases.
6) This act will take effect June 2018.[/QUOTE]

https://content.govdelivery.com/att...le_attachments/946185/PRIME+Act+Factsheet.pdf

Chris0nllyn

And your problem with this is???

Why not make the same business-friendly climate for all businesses, not just large ones?

I don't have a problem with lower taxes, I have a problem with unequal application of these sort of business-getting schemes.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Seems to me Bezos is trying to get out of paying his fair share!

SamSpade

Why not make the same business-friendly climate for all businesses, not just large ones?

I don't have a problem with lower taxes, I have a problem with unequal application of these sort of business-getting schemes.

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a city/state/county rolling out the red carpet for a large employer.
I've lived in towns where about a fifth or fourth of the population works at a big company the city or county types lured there.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I think Hogan has tried to do that during his first term.

MiddleGround

Seems to me that you are the type to crawl through the burning desert for 2 weeks and when you finally ran into someone who offered you a cracker, you would bytch and moan that there was no salt on the damn thing!

glhs837

Power with Control

When I worked for 84 Lumber, we could cut price deals for large contractors. Not much different, you take a loss in one area to make more than that in other areas. I'm giving the guy 2x4s for alomst no profit, but he's buying so many, I make that up. And I'm making more money long term since he'll keep coming back. And he might send his subs to me also. The Gov also has a job to get tax revenue for the state. And the residual benefit, not just of taxes paid by all those +100K employess, but the money they spend on goods and services, the property they buy. That matters. How many other companies act as satllites to such a headqaurters and want to set up shop nearby?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I have a problem with give away's to sports enterprises

too bad their pushing Montgomery County

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a city/state/county rolling out the red carpet for a large employer.
I've lived in towns where about a fifth or fourth of the population works at a big company the city or county types lured there.

It absolutely happens all the time.

Imagine how many businesses would exist in a state that applied those business friendly climate initiatives to everyone.

Seems to me that you are the type to crawl through the burning desert for 2 weeks and when you finally ran into someone who offered you a cracker, you would bytch and moan that there was no salt on the damn thing!

I fail to see why it's a bad thing to express my opinions on how our state govt. works and the decisions it makes.

MiddleGround

I fail to see why it's a bad thing to express my opinions on how our state govt. works and the decisions it makes.

It's not a bad thing at all...

Just like it is not bad to express my opinion that you seem to have a problem with everything the government (federal and state) seems to do unless it involves making weed more accessible.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If you aren't actively seeking out the best possible deal for your company, you aren't a very good business man IMHO.
Sorry but Bezos, being one of those progressive a-holes, needs to be soaked for every penny he’s got.

Chris0nllyn

It's not a bad thing at all...

Just like it is not bad to express my opinion that you seem to have a problem with everything the government (federal and state) seems to do unless it involves making weed more accessible.

You'd be right. There isn't much the govt. can do better than the private sector. There isn't much the govt. should even be doing.

Hijinx

You'd be right. There isn't much the govt. can do better than the private sector. There isn't much the govt. should even be doing.

If weed is that important to you maybe you should move to Colorado.
All due respect. It's legal out there.

SamSpade

It absolutely happens all the time.

Imagine how many businesses would exist in a state that applied those business friendly climate initiatives to everyone.

Because of something I learned years ago when I worked on the business census -- I asked why don't we collect data from EVERY business of a given type, and not just a certain number?
We do that for people, why not businesses? And it's because while God made man equal, man didn't make business equal, and some businesses are so large compared to others, the smaller businesses contribute little to the overall picture.
For example, you want to find out about software companies residing around the greater Seattle area. Obviously you talk to Microsoft - but the fact is, after them, you really don't need anyone else.

BUT - why not to everyone anyway? In the case of a census, it's not worth the cost of a form, a stamp and to pay someone to create and maintain the data, when anywhere from one to ten places comprise 95% of the data.
In the case of a state - still costs to expend the effort, and you really need to first go after the big guys.

Basically, why go after lots of little fish who will feed a dozen, when for less effort you can land a whale and feed the village?

EVENTUALLY he will have to find a way to extend it to more businesses, but the other thing about the Amazon gig is, it's a limited time offer.
Gotta get it now.

SamSpade

I can't think of any REASON the government can do better than the private sector, but for some really simple things -

And one is revenue. A good efficient company makes a good product and makes money.
Government has taxes - they're not ever going broke. Not really.

Private sector has competition to keep them improving - make a bad decision, join the scrap heap.
Government has no competition - and therefore has zero incentive to modernize or improve.

Private sector can pay outrageous sums of money, benefits and advancement to brilliant staff.
Government more or less has their hands tied - they can't.
(What they CAN offer instead is job security, since - according to the previous two statements - they're not going out of business).

And on and on. Private sector can expand or contract to suit the market - government agencies tend to stay fixed.
If you propose a new idea in your company, you might make a lot of money for yourself, or your company.
If you do it in the government - well - it's not yours at all.

I can think of only one area where the government has the ability to surpass private industry - and that's research.
But only because it has the resources to sink money into something that may or may not pay off.
Hence, DARPA - or NASA - or the Manhattan Project. Or any of a host of utter costly failures.

GregV814

Promoting ext-Raordinary Innovation in Maryland’s Economy (“PRIME”) Act.

This program is intended for a Fortune 100 company that pays an average of $100,000 annually at a newly created headquarters facility in the State. Additionally, this company must commit to spending a minimum of $5 billion in capital expenditures over 17 years, including $500 million in initial project costs, and employ at least 40,000 people over the 17-year period.

This legislation provides the following benefits, for 10 years:
1) A credit against the state income tax – equivalent to 5.75% of wages to each new qualifying headquarters job.
a. For purposes of the company’s build out of jobs, each job will qualify for the 10-year tax credit beginning the year it is created.
b. To qualify for the tax credit, a qualified position must be hired no later than 17 years after the project is enrolled in the program.
c. Qualified positions are full time, new and pay at least $60,000 but not more than $500,000 annually.

2) A credit against the state and local property tax.
a. The State will reimburse the local jurisdiction half of what would have been collected if the property tax had not been granted.

3) An exemption from sales and use tax for construction material or warehousing equipment used in the project.

Administration of the Program:
1) The Company must submit a notice of intent to the Maryland Department of Commerce that they will seek designation as an eligible project.
2) Commerce will certify a business if it meets the requirements under this program.
3) From there, the business will submit to a Commerce an application with the following information:
a. Anticipated date of establishment and its location
b. Evidence that the project will function as a headquarters
c. Anticipated number of qualified employees and anticipated payroll
d. Evidence that it’s legally committed to expend $500 million in project costs
e. Any other information Commerce requires

4) The business is also required to submit a project plan to Commerce that commits to carry out the following activities over a 17-year period:
a. Hire at least 40,000 qualified positions
b. Compensate the qualified positions an amount that, on average, equals at least $100,000
5) Commerce is provided authority to claw back all or any portion of a tax credit that has already been claimed if: (1) any representation made by the applicant was false when made, or (2) if
the actual hiring and expenditures made for the project are significantly lower than the projections made in the project plan are, as determined by Commerce.
a. The bill also provides that if the number of qualified positions at the facility ever declines below the number of qualified positions for which the company received a benefit in the first benefit year, the company’s enrollment in the program ceases.
6) This act will take effect June 2018.

https://content.govdelivery.com/att...le_attachments/946185/PRIME+Act+Factsheet.pdf[/QUOTE]

Hissy Chrissy here has a problem with it because a Republican is doing it. Was Hissy angry when Beretta moved out due to O'Malley's policies????

Chris0nllyn

If weed is that important to you maybe you should move to Colorado.
All due respect. It's legal out there.

I would. If it was that important to me.

Because of something I learned years ago when I worked on the business census -- I asked why don't we collect data from EVERY business of a given type, and not just a certain number?
We do that for people, why not businesses? And it's because while God made man equal, man didn't make business equal, and some businesses are so large compared to others, the smaller businesses contribute little to the overall picture.
For example, you want to find out about software companies residing around the greater Seattle area. Obviously you talk to Microsoft - but the fact is, after them, you really don't need anyone else.

BUT - why not to everyone anyway? In the case of a census, it's not worth the cost of a form, a stamp and to pay someone to create and maintain the data, when anywhere from one to ten places comprise 95% of the data.
In the case of a state - still costs to expend the effort, and you really need to first go after the big guys.

Basically, why go after lots of little fish who will feed a dozen, when for less effort you can land a whale and feed the village?

EVENTUALLY he will have to find a way to extend it to more businesses, but the other thing about the Amazon gig is, it's a limited time offer.
Gotta get it now.

Small businesses employ half the country. While I think no one company deserves special tax status, if any company does, it's the small businesses that overall, employ more people than Amazon (or Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc.)

Was Hissy angry when Beretta moved out due to O'Malley's policies????

Yes.
https://forums.somd.com/threads/285366-Beretta-setting-up-shop-in-TN?highlight=Beretta