Get Fined for tipping too little

Warron

On the ticker at the bottom of the screen on headline news they reported that a judge in New York City was fined for tipping less then 18% at a restaurant.

I haven't been able to find anything about it online though.

Makes me wonder if the people who passed this law ever looked up the definition of a tip.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
if the service was terrible, what makes them think that they deserve the tip! i hope the patron sues them for mental distress...

sorta like if you go to indigo grill, get terrible food/service, and have to tip them 18%! :yuck:

sunflower

Loving My Life...
if the service was terrible, what makes them think that they deserve the tip!

I agree with you on that.

Vince

The arrest raises the issue of whether the gratuities that restaurants automatically tack on for serving large groups are legally enforceable debts.

Are they legally enforceable debts? :shrug:

Warron

Vince said:
Are they legally enforceable debts? :shrug:

Some cities have laws that large parties have to pay a minimum tip. I think in this case, in NYC, parties of over 6 people have to pay 18%.

That doesn't mean I agree with it though. The concept of a mandatory tip is ridiculous to me. But then, if the Federal government (ie IRS) didn’t have the policy of assuming a tip regardless of whether one is received, maybe it would have never gotten to this point.