So, what should it be?

This_person

Let's be fair and honest - some kind of deal will be struck on the illegal immigrants brought here as minors.

We know Trump's ground rules - the deal has to contain: (1) physical security (border wall), (2) ending chain migration, (3) ending the lottery system for a merit system, and (4) then, and only then, a DACA deal.

So, if we assume that the first three will go through, and that the "merit" system will actually have some merit, we have to center in on the DACA deal. What should it be?

I propose we offer legal alien status (never, ever citizenship) to those
  • Who can prove they were here illegally from before the time they turned 10 (in other words, know no other home)
  • Have never used a fake ID/SSN to identify themselves for schools (their parents may have done this, but they did not do it after turning 18 for college, a job, etc.)
  • Are prohibited from ever receiving a single penny of any kind of welfare or entitlement program (including SNAP, Unemployment, SSN, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.)
  • Can never sponsor another immigrant to enter the country
  • Are not on voter registration roles or have ever voted, never can vote
  • Pay a fine of at least $25,000 (spread out over 4 years, if necessary)
  • First crime worse than a speeding ticket (or that level, word it as you will) and that is grounds for automatic deportation
  • Only applies to those here before 2016

What do you think?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What do you think?

I'd be willing to bet any DACA settlement agreement contains far more generous provisions than the ones you proposed and that I certainly like. But I'm OK with that; I have no major heatburn over granting generous waivers to those that truly pass the test to be classified as "Dreamers", "amnesty" if you will, as long as all those other immigration and border security changes are made.

Problem is...they keep passing amnesty after amnesty with promises of other fixes and they lie...the "other" never comes to pass.

Hijinx

Oh, and within 1 year, pass a Constitution and American history exam similar to a citizenship exam.

I like it but it will never get by the Democrats.
They are not going to pass money for the wall or stop chain migration.

43% of the DAC folks receive some sort of assistance now. That would puit 43% of them out of the country.
I don't care about the 25K

But of curse the Democrats aren't going to agree to any of it.

This_person

My biggest fear in all of this is a combination of what you've said - no plugging the holes in any way, and it will be yet another attraction for MORE people to pour in through those holes.

You know I am not a Trump supporter, but he's the only one who seems to get that a deal must be made, but it cannot be made in favor of even more illegal immigration.

Hijinx

My biggest fear in all of this is a combination of what you've said - no plugging the holes in any way, and it will be yet another attraction for MORE people to pour in through those holes.

You know I am not a Trump supporter, but he's the only one who seems to get that a deal must be made, but it cannot be made in favor of even more illegal immigration.

Gilligan has a good point. This is not the first amnesty, and every amnesty is predicated on the point that no more will be allowed to come here illegally.
This like all the others will not work unless the borders are closed and the only immigrants are legal ones.
We will just load up with more and more illegals until another amnesty is needed.

BOP

How about if we take in the DACA/Dreamers (all 3.6 million of them) as long as we can deport the Dimmocrats.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They must be fluent in English and use that as their first language.

I have no problem with accidental illegals being cut a break and I don't think most Americans object to that. What I object to is these folks coming over here illegally; not assimilating in any meaningful way; devouring our tax dollars in welfare, health care, education, etc; and then to just add insult to injury, demanding that WE accommodate THEM regarding language.

I think it's reasonable to expect them to be able to communicate with us as guests in our country.

It's reasonable to expect them to respect our flag and not get all pissed off if they dare have to see it.

It's reasonable to expect them to follow our laws.

It's reasonable to expect them to respect our traditional customs.

AND it's reasonable to say that they cannot bring everyone in the world over with them, or anyone. If they miss their family, they can go back and be with them.

This_person

They must be fluent in English and use that as their first language.

I have no problem with accidental illegals being cut a break and I don't think most Americans object to that. What I object to is these folks coming over here illegally; not assimilating in any meaningful way; devouring our tax dollars in welfare, health care, education, etc; and then to just add insult to injury, demanding that WE accommodate THEM regarding language.

I think it's reasonable to expect them to be able to communicate with us as guests in our country.

It's reasonable to expect them to respect our flag and not get all pissed off if they dare have to see it.

It's reasonable to expect them to follow our laws.

It's reasonable to expect them to respect our traditional customs.

AND it's reasonable to say that they cannot bring everyone in the world over with them, or anyone. If they miss their family, they can go back and be with them.

I agree with the language thing. I would personally rather see that in the broader sense of a national language, but I am also good with it here.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
27072463_10156112928338588_5442771301502207349_n.jpg

Rommey

Let's be fair and honest - some kind of deal will be struck on the illegal immigrants brought here as minors.

We know Trump's ground rules - the deal has to contain: (1) physical security (border wall), (2) ending chain migration, (3) ending the lottery system for a merit system, and (4) then, and only then, a DACA deal.

So, if we assume that the first three will go through, and that the "merit" system will actually have some merit, we have to center in on the DACA deal. What should it be?

I propose we offer legal alien status (never, ever citizenship) to those
  • Who can prove they were here illegally from before the time they turned 10 (in other words, know no other home)
  • Have never used a fake ID/SSN to identify themselves for schools (their parents may have done this, but they did not do it after turning 18 for college, a job, etc.)
  • Are prohibited from ever receiving a single penny of any kind of welfare or entitlement program (including SNAP, Unemployment, SSN, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.)
  • Can never sponsor another immigrant to enter the country
  • Are not on voter registration roles or have ever voted, never can vote
  • Pay a fine of at least $25,000 (spread out over 4 years, if necessary)
  • First crime worse than a speeding ticket (or that level, word it as you will) and that is grounds for automatic deportation
  • Only applies to those here before 2016

What do you think?

Assuming your list is an example of the priority of things to be done, I would make completing (1) a requirement before being able to complete (2). Once (1) and (2) are done, then complete (3). Completing (3) automatically kicks in the DACA provisions.

I would also make sure a comprehensive review of all applicable immigration laws and regulations is completed to ensure there are not outdated, redundant, contradictory, or unnecessary laws/regulations on the books and make Congress fix any issues.