So how's is our Health Insurance going to play out

steppinthrax

Here's the thing, the new tax plan that passed has removed penalty if you choose not to get medical insurance. I don't have an issue with this. However, since this is the case more and more people will start dropping their plans in Feb (if possible) or during the next open enrollment. So the issue is as a result those who pay employer based plans (who are already paying a higher cost due to ACA) will end up paying much more. I suspect much much more since the insurers will need to increase the premium costs to offset those dropping the plans, while covering all the riff raff that are getting subsidized insurance thru ACA.

Is this logic correct?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It turned out that a lot of the people being fined were simply unable to afford compliant insurance. So all the end of the fine changes for them is..no more fine. (I never paid it anyway; I'm sure that was true for many).

The key there is "compliant". Many people have, and will continue to buy, non-compliant health insurance. People who were paying the ridiculous premiums for compliant insurance to avoid the fine may now choose to purchase cheaper non-compliant insurance.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Hopefully some changes will be made that make it possible for insurance rates to come down a bit.

steppinthrax

It turned out that a lot of the people being fined were simply unable to afford compliant insurance. So all the end of the fine changes for them is..no more fine. (I never paid it anyway; I'm sure that was true for many).

The key there is "compliant". Many people have, and will continue to buy, non-compliant health insurance. People who were paying the ridiculous premiums for compliant insurance to avoid the fine may now choose to purchase cheaper non-compliant insurance.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Hopefully some changes will be made that make it possible for insurance rates to come down a bit.

If non-compliant insurance rolls out I would def buy. I know what is meant by non-compliant (it dosen't have maternity benefits, free vaccines, free Rx ins), you know things I don't use and don't need but still have to somehow pay for. But I suspect costs are going to skyrocket. There of course were ways to get out of paying the fine, but you had a large pop of people who are young, no kids, skinny and will drop their coverage like a hot pocket.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If non-compliant insurance rolls out I would def buy.

?? it's never "left".

Funny..everyone is worried about skyrocketing insurance premiums with this change...when Barrycare accomplished nothing if not causing truly dramatic increases in insurance premiums. LOL

Last edited:

steppinthrax

?? it's never "left".

Funny..everyone is worried about skyrocketing insurance premiums with this change...when Barrycare accomplished nothing if not causing truly dramatic increases in insurance premiums. LOL

When I go to get insurance quotes online. I see "temp ins", its cheaper but you are only allowed to keep it short term. Where else are you seeing non-compliant.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When I go to get insurance quotes online. I see "temp ins", its cheaper but you are only allowed to keep it short term. Where else are you seeing non-compliant.

Shoot,,every policy I pay for is and has always been non-compliant. What I pay for for the missus and my youngest son are Freedom Life products. Both reasonably priced although of limited use except in the case of something serious happening. Very similar to "catastrophic" coverage but better than that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I got a deal when I renewed my Blue Cross Carefirst this yr

seems no one was buying the Gold Plan [I had silver the last 2 yrs] so the Gold Plan was cheaper then the Silver this yr

already saved me 50 bucks .... no prescription co-pays

black dog

Free America
Will a catostrophic plan work? I think there's an age limit on that though

I believe that it is 30 years old within the ACA, unless you can prove you have a hardship and then the age requirement may be raised.
Outside of ACA I have never heard of a age limit.

MiddleGround

One thing is GUARANTEED.

Regardless of what shakes out, the costs WILL NOT go down! They will either stay the same or go up. Excuses to follow...