Land of fruits and nuts

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And that's just their lawmakers.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/25/california-bill-would-criminalize-restau

Under Calderon's law, a waiter who serves a drink with an unrequested straw in it would face up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Because:

"We need to create awareness around the issue of one-time use plastic straws and its detrimental effects on our landfills, waterways, and oceans," Calderon explained in a press release.

But wait! There's more!

The Los Angeles Times has gotten behind the movement, endorsing straws-on-request policies in an editorial that also warned that "repetitive sucking may cause or exacerbate wrinkles on the lips or around the mouth."

And if anyone knows about repetitive sucking, it's the LA Times.

#CalExit

Hijinx

I was thinking it was to keep you from poking your eyes out when you try to drink and the damned straw hits you in the eye.

A bunch of years ago, I had an attack of Bells Palsy, where the left side of my face drooped and I had no muscle control. Lets just say eating was a big challenge, and it was impossible to form my mouth around a straw to drink. That's when I re-trained myself to be able to drink from a glass or bottle. Took many many months.

I no longer use a straw. Ever. In fact, when I'm served a drink with a straw, I think, "how childish... I'm a grownup. Grownups don't need straws. Looks stupid." and I pull it out and toss it on the side.

The only time I use a straw is when I'm out to lunch and get a sandwich that has those toothpicks with the little feathers on them. They make the best blowdarts when used with that discarded straw....

Last edited: