Voices From CyberSpace

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm Calling :bs:

Edit: Oh For ####s Sake ....

http://www.newsweek.com/robocall-scares-people-who-criticize-trump-728195

The messages spurred some on social media to report political harassment, but the private company Ownage Pranks confirmed to Snopes that somebody had used their service to send out the calls as a prank. The company allows users to request and send prank calls, but its terms of service prohibit using the app to call anyone with whom the user hasn’t had a personal interaction with.

“Although the scripts are often cartoonish and often outlandish,” the company’s rules say, “some of the scripts may be scary or misleading to people who may not be expecting these calls or who cannot get a personal, friendly explanation about the nature of the call.”

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm Calling :bs:

Edit: Oh For ####s Sake .... it takes SNOPES to sort this out

https://www.snopes.com/trump-threatening-robocalls/

But the message did not originate with any political group and was not exactly what we think of as a “robocall”; instead, it was designed by a private company, Ownage Pranks, which allows users to request and send prank calls through its app.

A spokesperson for the company told us by email how their process works:

The user is on the call while the call is sent. They are in fact manually sending the call to the receiver and listening in real time. It is not an automated dialer.

So, it was a prank phone call? I'm so confused. AI scares me.

Hijinx

basically ...

Robo calls:
A computer dials the number and there is a pause between the time you answer the call and the time the computer kicks in to say it's message.

During that pause ---Hang up. That's what i do. Never hear the message, Don't want to.

BOP

Robo calls:
A computer dials the number and there is a pause between the time you answer the call and the time the computer kicks in to say it's message.

During that pause ---Hang up. That's what i do. Never hear the message, Don't want to.

If I don't recognize the number, which is the vast majority of the calls I get, I simply don't answer.