Microsoft belongs in f*king hell

BOP

Random reboots with absolutely no way to prevent automatic updates or to schedule them. I hope they go bankrupt and every one of them ends up living on the street and dying cold, miserable, and alone, whereupon they can spend the rest of eternity in everlasting hell.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Random reboots with absolutely no way to prevent automatic updates or to schedule them.

but Updates are for YOUR Own Protection ...

[but yes, you are supposed to be able to schedule updates for your 'downtime; or off hours ... like 4 am]

Starman

Random reboots with absolutely no way to prevent automatic updates or to schedule them. I hope they go bankrupt and every one of them ends up living on the street and dying cold, miserable, and alone, whereupon they can spend the rest of eternity in everlasting hell.

Sounds like these are Spectre/Meltdown related patches. The random reboots are a known-issue. This is Intel's microcode update and not the fault of Microsoft.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/12/intel-is-having-reboot-issues-with-its-spectre-meltdown-patches/

Though I do enjoy tossing plenty of ire Microsoft's way just as a matter of routine, so it's well-placed to be sure.

Auto updates can and should be disabled. I don't like my computers making those sorts of decisions for me for precisely this reason. Bad patches can go out and be applied before you have a chance to suppress them.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Start with this article from PCWorld.

Also take control of Java. I've got a cable connection, but Java put such a strangle hold on my machine after the Win10 upgrade, it was like going back to dial up.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
About three Sundays ago, at around 1125, Windows 10 decided to update and reboot. Right in the middle of our morning Family Bible Hour service, and all we had was the dreaded blue screen. Took it in stride, though - just passed out some songbooks, everybody had their own bibles, so we did it the old fashioned way - turning pages and actually reading the words instead of just getting all the info off the big screen. Nice change of pace, really, and the update took nearly 90 minutes before I could "safely" turn off the computer and camera and go home. No big deal - we were having our monthly pot luck luncheon anyway. The messaging of the Lord will not be disrupted, eh?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Roll back to Win 7. Still going strong here.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Auto updates can and should be disabled. I don't like my computers making those sorts of decisions for me for precisely this reason. Bad patches can go out and be applied before you have a chance to suppress them.

much digital ink has been spread about Win 10 doing its own thing, regardless of user settings as far as patches are concerned

MiddleGround

I hope they go bankrupt and every one of them ends up living on the street and dying cold, miserable, and alone, whereupon they can spend the rest of eternity in everlasting hell.

This rant makes you sound like a 13 year old girl who just got her cell phone taken away.

Mellow out!!

Warron

This is why I got the pro version of windows 10. You can control when updates are downloaded and installed in the group policy editor.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I read something today about a Windows 10S. If you purchase a "device" with the 'S' enabled, you can only run Microsoft apps. On Windows 10 Home edition, the user will be able to disable the 'S' function. On Windows 10 Pro, you have to pay Microsoft $49.99 to have the 'S' disabled.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I read something today about a Windows 10S. If you purchase a "device" with the 'S' enabled, you can only run Microsoft apps. On Windows 10 Home edition, the user will be able to disable the 'S' function. On Windows 10 Pro, you have to pay Microsoft $49.99 to have the 'S' disabled.

for now there is a 'free' upgrade to Win Home available ....

MS did a study if a Win S user does not upgrade in 2 weeks to Win Home [or pro] the never update

stgislander

PREMO Member
for now there is a 'free' upgrade to Win Home available ....

MS did a study if a Win S user does not upgrade in 2 weeks to Win Home [or pro] the never update

So is every new Windows PC going to be shipped with a Win S operating system?