Grammy Ratings Fall From 2017 As Politics Dominate Music’s Biggest Night

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Back in New York City for the first time since George W. Bush’s first term and drenched in the politics of the Donald Trump era, last night’s Grammy Awards was rockin’ with multiple wins for a very non-political Bruno Mars and a very, very political Kendrick Lamar. The more than three-and-a half-hour- long CBS show also had an audio book audition cameo by Hillary Clinton (see below), a use or two of the censor button, a lot of U2 and Sting, a powerful Time’s Up speech by Janelle Monáe and an equally powerful performance by Kesha and a chorus of supporters.

Grammy Ratings Fall From 2017 As Politics Dominate Music’s Biggest Night

Chris0nllyn

I'm glad Bruno won 7. I enjoy his music. I also enjoy Kendrick Lamar, os it was good to see him come away with a hand full also.

The Clinton cameo was sort of funny, but the political crap during these shows is getting boring. U2 on a tug boat/barge near the Statue of Liberty? Stupid. Sting's performance (with Shaggy?!) was horrible. In fact, a number of the acts sounded worse than singers on "The Voice".

Chris0nllyn

considering her husband is a rapist, her appearance is kinda tone deaf, don't ya think

Sure, but all she was doing was reading from Fire and Fury.

I don't even know who that is. All those grubby rap guys sound alike to me.

He's much better than other newer rappers (Future, Migos, etc.....you probably don't know those guys either, sorry. :lol: )as his songs have at least some meaning. His words have meaning and it's not all "#### bitches, get money, do drugs". I'm a fan of all kinds of music, but it has to sound good.

Anything from Dave Matthews Band, to SOJA, to 90's Country, to Kendrick floats my boat

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sure, but all she was doing was reading from Fire and Fury.

It's nice of her to read to her illiterate fans.

He's much better than other newer rappers (Future, Migos, etc.....you probably don't know those guys either, sorry. )

You're right, I don't.

Whatever happened to talent? Now it's just a bunch of high pitched white girls who all sound the same, and a bunch of black guys spewing gibberish. Who is your generation's Frank Sinatra, or Elvis, or Michael Jackson, or Freddie Mercury? And if you say "Kanye West" I will personally hunt everyone in your generation down and destroy you.

Sapidus

considering her husband is a rapist, her appearance is kinda tone deaf, don't ya think

So are you okay with calling Trump a rapist? The evidence for both is the same yet you feel comfortable throwing one around and cry whenever any insults your cheeto god

Sapidus

You're right, I don't.

Whatever happened to talent? Now it's just a bunch of high pitched white girls who all sound the same, and a bunch of black guys spewing gibberish. Who is your generation's Frank Sinatra, or Elvis, or Michael Jackson, or Freddie Mercury? And if you say "Kanye West" I will personally hunt everyone in your generation down and destroy you.

This whole comment should be in the dictionary under "what it sounds like to be old and bitter"

The celebrities reading Fire and Fury were joking around trying to win the Grammy for best spoken word performance next year. Get a sense of humor snowflake

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This whole comment should be in the dictionary under "what it sounds like to be old and bitter"

The celebrities reading Fire and Fury were joking around trying to win the Grammy for best spoken word performance next year. Get a sense of humor snowflake

This is why your generation is so retarded.

Chris0nllyn

You're right, I don't.

Gaga is weird, but can sing her ass off. Same with Miley Cyrus. Kanye West is a joke and his name and "great" should never been in the same sentence.

Bruno Mars has the type of music that transcends age groups. Everyone seems to love it. It's upbeat and fun.

I grew up listening to classic rock and Michael Jackson and don't think there is anyone who can be compared to the names you mentioned. I also think it's a different world for recording artists. Less and less onus is placed on talent alone. Looks and charisma play a role. Even qwerkiness is a factor. In a world dominated by streaming music, less and less revolves around raw talent.

Chris Stapleton is a rare generational talent that sounds old, has an amazing voice, and is humble. I like his music a lot, but I'm drawing a blank trying to come up with a name.

As much as it pains me, probably someone like Mariah Carey.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As much as it pains me, probably someone like Mariah Carey.

Wouldn't that be sad? She's not a genius, though. All she does is sing, as far as I'm aware.

I'm talking about the true musical talent who can not only sing, but writes songs - both lyrics and music - and can play an instrument (well). They must have enormous presence and charisma, extra credit if they can also dance and really perform.

Who in the last, say, 20 years has all that? I'm tempted to say Bruno Mars, but I can't think of anyone else.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Wouldn't that be sad? She's not a genius, though. All she does is sing, as far as I'm aware.

I'm talking about the true musical talent who can not only sing, but writes songs - both lyrics and music - and can play an instrument (well). They must have enormous presence and charisma, extra credit if they can also dance and really perform.

Who in the last, say, 20 years has all that? I'm tempted to say Bruno Mars, but I can't think of anyone else.

Lest ye forget, Kanye "discovered" Sir Paul McCartney.

Starman

Taylor Swift.

Multi-instrumentalist, writes her music and lyrics, no auto-tune, a hell of a performer with a ton of presence.

Hijinx

My idea of cruel and unusual punishment would be to be in a room all day with rappers and squealing rock guitarists.with their amps turned to "make them deaf".

Chris0nllyn

My idea of cruel and unusual punishment would be to be in a room all day with rappers and squealing rock guitarists.with their amps turned to "make them deaf".

I always pictured you being a Snoop Dogg fan.

Who's your favorite musicians?

Hijinx

I always pictured you being a Snoop Dogg fan.

Who's your favorite musicians?

Live or dead? Tommy Emmanuel is great. I liked Liberace for his music, even Satchmo, Elvis, George Jones, Willie Nelson.
Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin. Anyone who makes good music.

Who is this Snoop Dogg. Sounds like an idiot. Oh yeah I know who he is, would not go across the street to piss on him if he was on fire,/