Leftists Angry Post-9/11 Movie '12 Strong' Promotes 'Toxic Masculinity'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The film is about heroes, but like many modern examples of American military might, it has triggered those on the far left, some of whom are now insisting that in the post-#MeToo era, Hollywood abandon films about war because they promote "backwards" ideas and "glorify outdated models of masculinity."

Now, the "toxic masculinity" defeated an international terror organization on the sands of an unfamiliar country, sending its leader into the wilds of Pakistan and destroying the Al Qaeda network which had just killed more than 3,000 American citizens on United States soil.

But, according to The Intercept, it's time to put an end to glorifying heroics demonstrated during war.

"Hollywood has shown itself capable of making excellent war movies (think 'Three Kings,' 'Paths of Glory,' and 'The Best Years of Our Lives'), but most are problematic," writes Peter Maass. "Some of the biggest war movies of the post-9/11 era don’t just show violence in ways that are often gratuitous and occasionally racist. They model a cliched form of masculinity that veers from simplistic to monstrous."

No More War Movies: Leftists Angry Post-9/11 Movie '12 Strong' Promotes 'Toxic Masculinity'

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, them old outdated ideas of masculinity. That come in real handy when some jackass decides to attack you and yours.

Hijinx

To me war movies are just not the same as the old days when some actors had served in wars and had an idea what was going on.

I don't know of one single actor today who has served in anything greater than the boy scouts.

stgislander

PREMO Member
To me war movies are just not the same as the old days when some actors had served in wars and had an idea what was going on.

I don't know of one single actor today who has served in anything greater than the boy scouts.

Rob Riggle is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve and served in Afganistan as a PAO.

black dog

Free America
images (10).jpg

Hijinx

Rob Riggle is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve and served in Afganistan as a PAO.

I don't keep up a lot with Hollywood and in fact I had to Google Rob Riggle because I never heard of him, but it appears he is indeed a jewel among a majority of glass.