Democrats Are In Trouble

SamSpade

Not to burst your bubble, but without examining methodology - it's hard to know how accurate this is likely to be for one obvious reason -
response or coverage bias. Obviously you can't ask a fair opinion from someone who didn't watch it, but you're also likely selecting from
a pool of people who watched it because they favor Trump, and not watched by people who don't.

Unless you can separate those two and sample from them - you can't get a fair grasp of what people think.

MiddleGround

...but you're also likely selecting from a pool of people who watched it because they favor Trump, and not watched by people who don't.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I am sure there were quite a lot of haters that tuned in. They did need to get their source material for their obligatory slam articles. To paraphrase the Howard Stern movie "Private Parts."

The Average Trump supporter tuned in for 1 hour
Most common answer for watching? "To see what he had to say."
The Average Trump hater tuned in for 1 hour and 20 minutes
Most common answer for watching? "To see what he had to say, twist it around, and try to use it against him."

SamSpade

Sam, the methodology is here - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/viewer...rst-state-of-the-union-address-cbs-news-poll/

Since you are a stats guy, is this sound or not?

I want to first mention that I program stats, but I don't create or craft samples - people that are a lot smarter than me do that.
It does look ok in that they did more than just ask people if they watched it or planned to watch it, but these kinds of quick polls
don't reflect much in people's opinions.

I think any sample SHOULD look like the universe it draws from. Most of those numbers look good, but a few are not.

With ANY opinion poll - and I have said, they are the hardest thing to measure - you have all sorts of errors that can emerge.
With phone polls, a big one is non-response bias. People hang up. I do. Lots of people do. So you introduce a bias
right there - your poll consists of people who said they'd participate. (Yes I know they asked ahead of time - that's still a bias).

I also noticed a lower percentage of minorities and a higher selection of Republicans and those that lean right than is generally occurring
in the population. That by itself could account for a lot of the positive feedback.

I just don't see how it's possible that one speech has changed a year's worth of generally poor approval ratings.
It's either reflecting a knee-jerk reaction that will snap back (had I been interviewed after one of Clinton's SOTUs - I might have said
positive things as well) - or it's reflecting that the kind of person who watched it is just more likely to be positive about Trump.

LASTLY - polls don't mean a lot overall, unless it's around an election and it influences the low information voter.
We've had Presidents who over the years have been recognized as good Presidents - but not during their lifetime.
The classic case is Truman, who had some of the lowest approval ratings ever recorded.
How much you are liked doesn't say a lot about how good a job you are doing.

SamSpade

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I am sure there were quite a lot of haters that tuned in. They did need to get their source material for their obligatory slam articles. To paraphrase the Howard Stern movie "Private Parts."

I remember when that quote was news.

We had members of CONGRESS who didn't show up, although they likely watched it on TV.
Some people have the "I don't give a crap" attitude and turned on something else.
They'll get their input the next day from their echo chamber of pundits who agree with them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not to burst your bubble, but without examining methodology ....
:nono:

Quit Messing With The Bait Sam, I'm Fishing ......

:buddies:

and its CBS I really don't expect sound balanced Polls ...

I just don't see how it's possible that one speech has changed a year's worth of generally poor approval ratings.
It's either reflecting a knee-jerk reaction that will snap back (had I been interviewed after one of Clinton's SOTUs - I might have said
positive things as well) - or it's reflecting that the kind of person who watched it is just more likely to be positive about Trump.

well Over Sampling Republicans will skew the results ... I'll go with knee jerk reaction and maybe some begrudgingly honest

.... well yeah it was an ok speech, Trump still sucks however ....

Last edited: