Jack in the Box says it is considering swapping cashiers with Kiosks

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ORLANDO, Florida — Jack in the Box says it is considering swapping some cashiers with robots as the minimum wage rises in California.

"As we see the rising costs of labor, it just makes sense" to consider adding new automated technology, CEO Leonard Comma said Tuesday at the ICR Conference.

Jack in the Box previously tested technology such as kiosks. According to Comma, the kiosks resulted in a higher average check and helped with efficiency. But at the time Comma said the cost of installing the kiosks wasn't worth it.

But with minimum wages increasing, Jack in the Box is reconsidering the use of kiosks and other technology, Comma said.

Minimum wages are increasing in 18 states in 2018, including California, where the West Coast-centric Jack in the Box is based. California is on track to become the first state with a $15 minimum wage.

Fast-food CEO says 'it just makes sense' to consider replacing cashiers with machines as minimum wages rise

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Can we expect the same level of service?

Will the kiosks use broken English and Ebonics?

I stopped at a McDonalds in Arkansas. Stood at the counter waiting for someone to take my order, totally ignored. Turns out there was a kiosk/touch screen behind me, and you had to place the order there. So nice of them to tell me that.

SamSpade

I went to a McDonald's in Guangzhou, China. They didn't speak a word of English, but quickly navigated me through a picture page.

Had my lunch inside 20 seconds. Amazing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I stopped at a McDonald's on the way to Naples from Marathon and they had an ordering kiosk. What a CF that was. First of all, trying to find what you want is an exercise in frustration because they don't have the menu categories laid out in a logical manner. All I wanted was a cheeseburger and it took forever to find it on the kiosk menu.

When I finally found it, trying to close out the order was a pain, and then it spits out a slip and says to take it to the next open cashier. So I did that and the cashier said to wait and they'll call my number. Keep in mind that I hadn't paid yet. So I wait. And I wait. And people who placed their order the normal way were in and out, even though they came in long after me.

So I asked the cashier what the problem was, and she said I had to pay first and then they'd put the order in. Which makes sense so you don't get a bunch of durhards placing orders, then leaving. But the first cashier didn't tell me this, and not only that....what's the point of the kiosk again? It saved me zero steps in the ordering process, the kiosk menu was ridiculous, and the cashiers apparently don't understand how it's supposed to work. Anyway, by then my tolerance level had run out and I left without the cheeseburger.

There was a payment thing so you could use your credit/debit to pay for your order, and that probably cuts down on some of the chaos, but who pays for a single freaking cheeseburger with a credit card??

Wawa and Sheetz manage to employ their food ordering kiosks just fine. What the hell is your problem, McDonalds? Why is this hard for you?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wawa and Sheetz manage to employ their food ordering kiosks just fine. What the hell is your problem, McDonalds? Why is this hard for you?

I am guessing they don't want to get sued, so McDonald's makes the interface different.

SamSpade

Because it's ALL through kiosks, so no competition from in person and drive through orders and --

Ever see a line at Wawa or Sheetz that is anything like your typical McDonald's lunch line?
You'd be waiting until dinnertime.