TODAY's RANT: The difference between UPS and USPS

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I have never been a postal service basher because, overall, I think they have done a great job over the years; UPS and FedEx ain't going to deliver a letter across the USA for 50-cents. But, this one issue really makes me shake my head.

UPS has a service called Mail Innovations to save shippers some money. They'll take it to the closest post office, then the post office takes it the final 5 yards. Typically adds another day to the delivery time (2 if UPS gives it USPS on Saturday). So, UPS is great; if they have another package coming to your house the same day that they have a Mail Innovations package going to the local post office, they'll deliver both to the house so you get the one package a day early. Probably makes financial sense for them too since they don't have to share the revenue with the post office.

So, now we have USPS. First of all, my mail box is 800 feet from the house. So, when there is a package that won't fit, they'll bring it to the house and leave it on the porch (which is what UPS does with every delivery). The thing that makes me crazy is that they'll only bring that package back, she puts the other mail in the mailbox. I'm like, if you're driving all the way back here, why not just bring it all? Today I had 2 packages. You guessed it, one fit in the box and the other was delivered to the porch.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint, just doesn't make any sense. Is this some silly postal regulation that says if it fits in the mailbox, it has to go in the mailbox, or is the carrier just not thinking?

P.S. In past years, my mail carrier found a nice $50 cash Christmas card in the outgoing mail.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I had a package my mail guy used to bring the mail to my door with it. If I wasn't home, he'd put the package on the porch and the mail in the box.

Next time ask your mail person. I'll bet it's just not something they've thought about.

When I had a package my mail guy used to bring the mail to my door with it. If I wasn't home, he'd put the package on the porch and the mail in the box.

Next time ask your mail person. I'll bet it's just not something they've thought about.

I believe it's SOP. This happens all the time with me too. UPS forwards a package to USPS. If it doesn't fit in the box, they leave it at the garage door, but deliver mail to the street box.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So, now we have USPS. First of all, my mail box is 800 feet from the house. So, when there is a package that won't fit, they'll bring it to the house and leave it on the porch (which is what UPS does with every delivery).

USPS makes zero attempt to deliver anything that won't fit in my mail box, the 500 feet to the house. They leave the slip...we pick it up at the Post Office.
UPS, on the other hand, is at the shop every day.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Whether it's UPS, FedEx, DHL, or USPS I meet them up the driveway beyond the range of the dog. If he is out when they attempt to drop something off he acts like he wants to eat them or the package. If he is in when they arrive he acts like he wants to eat them or the package. So I go out to meet them. Oh and the USPS lady always has my mail with the package, never the split delivery.

black dog

Free America
I have never been a postal service basher because, overall, I think they have done a great job over the years; UPS and FedEx ain't going to deliver a letter across the USA for 50-cents. But, this one issue really makes me shake my head.

UPS has a service called Mail Innovations to save shippers some money. They'll take it to the closest post office, then the post office takes it the final 5 yards. Typically adds another day to the delivery time (2 if UPS gives it USPS on Saturday). So, UPS is great; if they have another package coming to your house the same day that they have a Mail Innovations package going to the local post office, they'll deliver both to the house so you get the one package a day early. Probably makes financial sense for them too since they don't have to share the revenue with the post office.

So, now we have USPS. First of all, my mail box is 800 feet from the house. So, when there is a package that won't fit, they'll bring it to the house and leave it on the porch (which is what UPS does with every delivery). The thing that makes me crazy is that they'll only bring that package back, she puts the other mail in the mailbox. I'm like, if you're driving all the way back here, why not just bring it all? Today I had 2 packages. You guessed it, one fit in the box and the other was delivered to the porch.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint, just doesn't make any sense. Is this some silly postal regulation that says if it fits in the mailbox, it has to go in the mailbox, or is the carrier just not thinking?

P.S. In past years, my mail carrier found a nice $50 cash Christmas card in the outgoing mail.

On my postal route one person delivers the daily mail for my section of town and another carrier delivers just the two day envelopes, flat rate boxes, overnight letters and so on & packages along with certain UPS boxes...

stgislander

PREMO Member
USPS makes zero attempt to deliver anything that won't fit in my mail box, the 500 feet to the house. They leave the slip...we pick it up at the Post Office.
UPS, on the other hand, is at the shop every day.

In truth, we told USPS to do that since we are at the Post Office every day.

MiddleGround

My postal carrier will sit in her mail truck in my driveway and honk the horn if there is a package to be delivered! Too much effort into getting her round rear out of the truck and walk to my door.

This has happened several times.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Our mail carrier was leaving packages that didn't fit IN the mailbox hanging off the mail box flag in a large white garbage bag during Christmas..... UNTIL I spoke to the post master and she put a stop to that! We're about 400 feet off the road too, but I'd rather have to get a package notice and have to go pick it up than it get stolen!!! BTW-we utilize a PO Box for the important stuff so we go there every day anyway....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Generally YES ... however there was a time recently, package in the front stoop, mail sitting on top, ready to get blown away

Not UNDER the PACKAGE, but ON TOP :eyebrow:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I just love love love my new, for the past six months or so, mail delivery girl. She actually takes initiative to deliver my mail. When she delivers a UPS package she always delivers the rest of the mail bundled with a rubber band to the house. The only time I've gotten a pickup notice is when the package would not fit in her car. She actually takes her job quite seriously. Plus, as a double bonus, she is a cutie. I gifted her handsomely for Christmas, first time ever I've done that, and she actually took the time to write a thank you card and delivered it with later mail. A definite asset of the USPS.

SamSpade

I really think it depends on the carrier - and your personal preference.

We used to get the mail with a package if it had to be put on the porch.
Rain or shine.

Yep - RAIN or shine.
Meaning, some days, the mail got wet. Package was waterproof but the envelopes were not.
So we asked them not to do that. Hasn't happened since.

We have a neighbor whose primary entrance is the inside garage door - they almost never use the front door
which means packages left at the front door are likely to just STAY there, unobserved.

They have asked USPS - please leave it in front of the garage where we will see it.

Not to be outdone - the same carrier did it for us - and we DO use the front door and only ever go in the garage
via garage door opener. After the carrier left it *LEANING* against the door - we asked them to stop
and just put it on the front porch. Problem solved.

UPS is usually good - but they have been known to *THROW* boxes onto our porch - something I have never
seen a postal worker do.

GregV814

Its like people confuse SDS (students for a Democratic Society, a 1960's left wing radical group) and FDS a women's toiletry.